One book

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
give a mouse a cookie

One book

Postby give a mouse a cookie » Thu May 18, 2006 10:56 pm

Ladies (and gents),
One rule to this thread. We're using the honor system. I think it will be cool!
Here's the rule:
You may only post one time on this thread. That's right. Once.

cympreni wrote:
One helpful thing if there was 1 book you could recommend as being for being a good first book what would it be? something that expains my options and a sorta crash course in all the treatments to help me choose which one(s) would be best for my son.

thanks for any help

Here's the idea. Choose your book and write a brief review for it. Post. Then you're done. All are welcome. That means everyone. I'm interested to see how this turns out.
If you see that someone else has already listed your book, do us a little favor and count how many times. It will only take a minute to put a 3 or whatever into parentheses next to your title. Then go ahead and write your own review.
And remember: One Post per person!

oops. Here's my entry:

Let Me Hear Your Voice by Catherine Maurice (1)

I can't review it because I only read two entire books on autism and hated them both. This wasn't one of them. I'm going by word of mouth and most frequently recommended according to my own iffy memory.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0449906647/103-6610076-4024631?v=glance&n=283155

edited for Jeffrey's mom: Go ahead and edit your response to add your runner-up. I just want to keep as simple as possible for cympreni and other moms and dads with that HUGE list of recommended reading! Maybe this will narrow down their lists! :wink:
Last edited by give a mouse a cookie on Fri May 19, 2006 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heather

Postby Heather » Fri May 19, 2006 11:23 am

I just finished Engaging Autism by Stanley Greenspan.

This book really explained basic child development and emphasized the importance of children playing in order to learn about their world.
I learned many strategies to engage him in play and actually how to "play" with him according to his developmental level.
Heather

Jeffrey's mom

Postby Jeffrey's mom » Fri May 19, 2006 1:56 pm

One book huh, that is really tough. I am staring at shelves and shelves of books which have been purchased over the years.

If I had to pick one, I guess it would be "Facing Autism" by Lynn Hamilton. It is probably a little outdated now, but I remember liking it because it explained a whole bunch of interventions and was also easy to read. There is a ton of material devoted to ABA, lots on biomed and all kinds of other stuff.

Can I select a "runner-up"? Please, please. There are so many great books out there.

Jeffrey's mom

Missy Nadeau

Postby Missy Nadeau » Fri May 19, 2006 2:06 pm

Karen Seroussi's "Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder: A Mother's Story of Recovery" That book gave me hope and started us on our journey to recovery through biomedical and dietary interventions. :D

MCA

Postby MCA » Fri May 19, 2006 9:51 pm

Overcoming Autism by Lynn Kern Koegel and Claire LeZebnick. Great collaboration between leading ABA researcher/PRT pioneer and an experienced parent of an ASD child.

LM

Postby LM » Sat May 20, 2006 4:01 pm

Emergence: Labeled Autistic by Temple Grandin

This was one of the first books I read when my son was diagnosed and it helped to give me a better idea of how my son sees the world.

tmarthaler

Postby tmarthaler » Sat May 20, 2006 4:16 pm

let me hear your voice would be my pick. inspiring for any mom that has to deal with it. it was my "grieving book" ..lots of crying through it and then i got off my butt and started looking into different therapies, schools etc.

gdv2500

Postby gdv2500 » Sun May 21, 2006 10:00 pm

I would have to say that "Facing Autism" by Lynn Hamilton is also my choice for a first book for parents of ASD kids. She covers both the biomedical side as well as the educational side (she did a 40 hour per week ABA program in home). She also weaves in her personal story well.
Gary - Cameron's Dad

LittleManzParents

Postby LittleManzParents » Sun May 21, 2006 10:41 pm

Let Me Hear Your Voice by Catherine Maurice (3)

Like tmarthaler stated, it was an emotional and inspiring read. The roller coaster of fear, doubts, questions, and hope hit very close to home.

LittleManzParents

Postby LittleManzParents » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:48 pm

OK, I've been giving this some thought, and I'm breaking the rules by posting more than once.

For a parent getting started who is looking for a little insight into autism and practical "how-to" ways to encourage their children to communicate, I have to recommend More than Words by Fern Sussman (a Hanen Centre book).

All of the books I have read so far have been helpful and beneficial in different ways, but More than Words wins because it is light, positive, easy to read, provides specific examples, and has lots of colorful pictures! :P

Jasonsmom

All the King's Men - a child's journey

Postby Jasonsmom » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:06 pm

through autism by Karen Dembroski. This book is written by a mother of an autistic child and takes you through his critical years (ages 2 - 5). She is an amazing writer. This book is a really good source of information too and it is pretty funny. I referenced this book a lot - almost as much as I did "Let Me Hear Your Voice". My son is 5 and we have just finished his ABA - did 3 years. Karen Dembroski didn't do ABA but her son's therapists used ABA techniques. Her son was mainstreamed in Montessouri school and then in kindergarten. I loved this book - it's unlike any other autism book I've read and I've read most of them.

SDYLADY

Postby SDYLADY » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:00 am

Karen Seroussi's "Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder: A Mother's Story of Recovery. I have to second that! I have read many books on autism and this one has changed our lives. If I had known what it was about I probably would not have even picked it up, because I didn't think my daughter fit the profile needing to be on the diet until I read it. SHe is doing very well now. I have bought multiple copies to share with friends, teachers, and family.

TZoya

Postby TZoya » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:51 pm

Behavioral Interventions for Young Children with Autism Edited by Catharine Maurice.

BTDT

Postby BTDT » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:19 am

"From Emotions to Advocacy" Pam and Peter Wright

If you are dealing with the school system, this is a must have.

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”