"A Real Person" by Gurnilla Gerland

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
williams_dad

"A Real Person" by Gurnilla Gerland

Postby williams_dad » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:39 am

A Real Person : Life on the Outside
Gernilla Gerland
Souvenir Press, Eng Lang edition 1977
ISBN 0285633988

An autobiography of an autistic person, translated from the original Sweedish
First published in Sweden by Bokforlaget Cura AB, Stockholm 1996
Under the title "En riktig manniska"

So I read this book about a lady named Gurnilla who has autism, but this book is very special to me because my son, who is 2 1/2, also has autism and this is part of my journey into understanding or trying to understand his world or how he sees my world. It is very disturbing and very enlightening at the same time.

Gurnilla wasn't diagnosed until quite late and consequently was quite misunderstood by her parents, sister and peers. This led to a troubled childhood and difficult school years, drug use, difficulty with relationships, employment. Compounded by abusive parents, impatient teachers, misdiagnosed by a pschiatrist .....

This is an excellent book for anyone trying to understand autism especially from the point of view of the person with autism. It is blunt and in some places coarse but well worth reading.

WD

LittleManzParents

Postby LittleManzParents » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:33 pm

Just a thought -- using quotation marks in the subject might make it harder to sort the books/titles alphabetically?

(Sounds like a fascinating book, btw. AS??)

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”