365 TV-free activities you can do with your child

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
Alex's mom

365 TV-free activities you can do with your child

Postby Alex's mom » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:41 pm

"365 TV-free activities you can do with your child "- by S & R Bennett

Not an autism book , but really helpful for kids who don't have good playskills (like my son), and parents who lack creativity (like myself).
I've tried several of the activities (some I modified according to my son's level) and they are really fun. A typical 3-year old can probably do most of what's in there, my son will soon be 6, but with his delays and short attention span the book suits us very well.

Alex's mom

merry

Postby merry » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:00 am

Alex's Mom,

Do you think this book would be appropriate for my son? He is age 9 and relatively high functioning (whatever that is, really) but with behavior, control and learning challenges.

Thanks for any input. Merry
Merry mom to A-14 yo boy with autism and type 1 diabetes

Alex's mom

Postby Alex's mom » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:22 am

Hi Merry:
There are so many things in that book (grouped by arts and crafts, outdoor games, word games, indoor stuff etc) that you can find something for just about anyone. The only prerequisites are I think some basic attending and understanding of simple rules and language.
We do preschool type stuff, but they have games for older kids too. For example something we did yesterday was to make up traffic signs (Alex had to help design them) and then we taped them to the basement floor and followed the circuit. We then did it wearing silly hats, and then we each carried a ball in a cup and we had to go fast without dropping the ball or the hat. He loved it but would try to take off on his own, and I had to hold his hand so that we do it together (which was the whole point).
Alex has lousy attending and is certainly pretty controlling too (he is fairly well behaved, but would rather take over an activity and change it on his terms than stick with a partner). I am trying to work on those issues without making it look so much like "therapy" .
Alex's mom
P.S. I also tried to borrow ideas from the "Out of sync child has fun" but it seemed like that one required too many props and was more work for me :)

merry

Postby merry » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:10 pm

Thanks Alex's Mom! I will definately check out 365 TV Free Activities You Can Do With Your Child. :D Merry
Merry mom to A-14 yo boy with autism and type 1 diabetes

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”