First Contact by Dave Hingsburger

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
gtto

First Contact by Dave Hingsburger

Postby gtto » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:37 pm

Full title: First contact: Charting Inner Space -- thoughts about establishing contact with people who have significant developmental disabilities

This is not specific to autism (it's more general with regards to developmental disability) but certainly pertains to many autistic people, and in a way people in general. This book is about communication with people who are said to have no communication (a concept he firmly rejects), who he refers to as a "linguistic minority of one". He encourages people to get beyond reflections of themselves and into truly making contact with another person.

The topic may sound like dry reading, but Hingsburger is never dry reading. He draws (as always) on his own experiences in the human services field and the way in which he's matured in relation to those experiences. And he (as always) doesn't shy away from topics most people in his field ignore.

It's from this book, also, that I got the quote from Dick Sobsey I used in another post. The full paragraph, in response to a question about how Sobsey protected his son:

"I take my son out into the community, I want my neighbours to know him. I want his teachers and the people who care for him to know him. Know him as a person. I feel that once they meet him. Really meet him, he is safer. People don't hurt people. People hurt things."

It's a small book, 40 pages, and I think it sells for about $5 in American dollars, but it could sell for more than that and be worth it.

LittleManzParents

Postby LittleManzParents » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:36 pm

Hi Amanda,

Just wondering if you've read any of Donna Williams' books...?

gtto

Postby gtto » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:43 pm

All of them.
"If you're watching it, you're part of it. If you're close enough to see it, you're in it."

LittleManzParents

Postby LittleManzParents » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:50 pm

Cool. What did you think? I just went to the library in search of some books that were not in stock, so I ended up checking out two of her books instead.

gtto

Postby gtto » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:21 pm

I like some better than others, and some bits of them better than other bits. My favorite is Nobody Nowhere, and then the first edition of her poetry book.
"If you're watching it, you're part of it. If you're close enough to see it, you're in it."

LittleManzParents

Postby LittleManzParents » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:28 pm

:? That's the one I did not get. I'm starting with Somebody Somewhere, and already within the first 15 pages I wish I had started with Nobody Nowhere. Oh well. Perhaps it was meant to be this way.

Thanks for your reply.

BTDT

Postby BTDT » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:49 pm

A really good thought provoking book. It would be great for caregivers/teachers of the severely disabled. It's a very short book, but there is a lot of wisdom in it. My favorite quote from the book:

"Pity is prejudice masked as sympathy."

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”