User Guide to the GF/CF Diet by L Jackson

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
williams_dad

User Guide to the GF/CF Diet by L Jackson

Postby williams_dad » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:40 am

A User Guide to the GF / CF Diet
for Autism, Aspeger Syndrome and AD / HD
by Luke Jackson
Kingsley Publishers 2002
ISBN 184310055

A book about the GF/CF diet written by a boy who had to endure it, in other words an insiders view of the diet. Luke has Asperger Syndrome, his brother Ben with Autism and another brother Joe with ADHD. And their mum put all three on the diet.

It tells of the withdrawls, the stomach cramps, the effects on their behaviour. It gives a pretty good insight into how the diet might affect other ASD people by giving an almost blow-by-blow account of how the implementation of the diet affected the three boys. It goes into having yeast problems and reactions to things like colours, phenols and aspartame.

There is a section written by their mum Jacqui giving a brief of her side of the story and plenty of recipees to try. There is a very good section with addresses and weblinks to relevant support organisations. The book is written with the UK situation in mind ( prescriptions, products etc ) but would still be relevant to most other western countries e.g. USA, Australia, EU.

It's an interesting book that I would recommend to anyone looking at starting their ASD child on the GF/CF diet. It's not a technical book in the sense that it doesn't cover the theory of being GF/CF or go into detailed how-to's but it is still filled with good information and written from the perspective of one who is on the diet.

There are quotes throughout from his other brother and this is one :-
"You know when you look at a picture and it looks very flat and boring and then when you look closely there's all sorts of interesting stuff in it ? Well that's what it's like when you're not on this diet and then you go on it. Everything seems really boring but when your mum puts you on a proper diet, everything around becomes exciting and there is lots more stuff in the world after all!"
Joe Jackson

WD

LM

Postby LM » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:29 pm

Been meaning to comment on this one.

We have this book and it's the only GFCF book my husband has ever read (probaby because it was written by a 12yr old :lol: :lol: ). I don't think my husband even got past the 1st introduction paragraph of CWSB FWIW and he has a science background.

I did like this book and I really liked that it was from the persepctive of a child who is on the diet. On a side note, the book really got my husband involved in a lot of the dietary stuff.

williams_dad

Postby williams_dad » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:51 pm

Probably the only thing I found a bit odd about the book

is although the book is about the gf/cf diet
and written by one on the diet

he makes a statement that goes something like
If there was a cure
I wouldn't want it

And the angle of that statement seems aimed at bio-med
yet he is promoting one of the key therapies in bio-med

and to re-quote
Everything seems really boring but when your mum puts you on a proper diet, everything around becomes exciting and there is lots more stuff in the world after all!"

to me at least
these two statements seem very contradictory

WD

LM

Postby LM » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:27 pm

Well, I sort of got the impression that Luke was also a bit of a mum-pleaser - not that there's anything wrong with that :wink:

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”