More Than Words

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
LittleManzParents

More Than Words

Postby LittleManzParents » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:45 am

More Than Words: Helping Parents Promote Communication and Social Skills in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder

By Fern Sussman
Illustrations by Robin Baird Lewis

A Hanen Centre Publication (www.hanen.org)

The title says it all. It's a large book, just over 400 pages, full of colorful (sometimes humorous) illustrations and wonderful ideas and suggestions that are very "user friendly" and practical. I highly recommend this book to anyone of a newly diagnosed child. This is the "how to" book of early communication.

I just skimmed through bits of it again tonight and was reminded of several strategies that I can try with my son.

BTDT

Postby BTDT » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:18 am

I thought this was a wonderful book too. It condenses into one volumn a lot of the best ideas on how to help children with autism communicate. I wish I had it when my son was 2 years old. It took me a couple years to get the information from different sources that is contained in this one book.

MCA

Postby MCA » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:39 am

One of the best; but try to take the workshop series along with it.

williams_mum

Postby williams_mum » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:24 am

I thought it was a wonderful book.

The pictures are great in conveying the communication that is required for your child and graded for each level depending at which stage of communication your child is at.

I can see it being a manual we will refer to often and so will be buying a copy for ourselves as the one we have is on loan.

WM.

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”