Mad House

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
MCA

Mad House

Postby MCA » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:08 pm

http://www.cleasimon.com/Mad_House.html

This book deals with schizophrenia, not autism, and I read it before autism even entered my life. My older brother has a schizophrenia diagnosis but I actually believe aspergers/autism is a better fit. Anyhoo...

This book talks about life as a sibling of someone with a mental illness, and it was so validating and educational for me. I found it when I was cleaning out some drawers the other day and plan to reread it as soon as I get some time. My guess is that I will find it applicable to being a sibling of someone with autism as well in some ways.

If you have other children, and you are wondering how a sibling with major special needs may affect them, this is an excellent read.

Again, this book targets schizophrenia/mental illness, but there are most definitely similarities. It's a fascinating and easy book to read.

And yes, I know autism is not mental illness. It's still a great and relevant book for parents of ASD kids who also have NT kids they want to make sure come out OK with everything, too.

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”