Overcoming Autism

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
LittleManzParents

Overcoming Autism

Postby LittleManzParents » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:18 am

Overcoming Autism

by Lynn Kern Koegel, PhD & Claire LaZebnik (mom of child w/ autism)

First recommended by fellow poster, LM. 8)

A great book full of practical ideas and suggestions for tuning in to, and capitalizing on, what motivates our children, in order to help them commuincate, transition, adjust, etc. Another easy read and well worth the time.

MCA

Postby MCA » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:54 pm

IAWTC

Absolutely the best book I have read. This book is where I recognized my son fit on the autism spectrum despite not being exactly what I would have thought an autistic child to look like. A great back-and-forth between a mom and a doctor helping her child, with a great speech therapist in the mix. This speech therapist is actually the one who gave me the book, and who also had the balls to tell me my 2 year old had autism, even when she couldn't formally diagnose and didn't have to say a word. This book is written by top notch people who really want to help. If it's in this book I trust it.

LittleManzParents

Postby LittleManzParents » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:06 pm

MCA - I'm glad you added to this thread. I was thinking that I hadn't really done a good job of explaining the book or its value, as I was in a hurry at the time.

Now, if you will pretty-please post one more reply so that I don't have to see my name every time I log in, I'll be grateful! :D (Or you can always add a new book!)

:lol: MCA - you're awesome!!
Last edited by LittleManzParents on Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

MCA

Postby MCA » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:39 pm

I hate posting in threads that don't get a lot of action for that very reason.

Dang it, now I'm going to see my name, aren't I?

amy

Postby amy » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:36 am

i'm doing to check this one out too!

thanks! :)
amy, mommy to:

zach 2/21/99
jared 8/24/00
katie 8/23/02

concerned mom

Postby concerned mom » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:24 pm

I also thought this book was great. It especially gave me the feeling that I'm not alone. When she explained how she felt after diagnoses and how she felt towards others and there comments, it was exactly the way I felt. I also felt like it was a good book for inspiration. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Concerned Mom

Janie

Postby Janie » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:23 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I just got this book from the library and sat up half the night reading it. It's by far the most user-friendly one I've read and seems to strike a nice balance between ABA style training and more play based therapies like floortime and RDI. I'm about to order this one from Amazon - I think I'll be referring to it a lot!
Mom to one 6 yr old - HFA

DianeM2

Postby DianeM2 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:30 pm

Im in the process of reading this and so far it is very good.
Keeping the Faith

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”