The Lovables in the Kingdom of Self Esteem

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
MCA

The Lovables in the Kingdom of Self Esteem

Postby MCA » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:13 pm

Again, not an autism book... sorry... but the sweetest children's book.

The Lovables in the Kingdom of Self Esteem by Diane Loomans, published by Scholastic

It's by someone who is part of a "positive thinking" movement, and it has a bit of a "new age" flavor to it, but my older child is so enchanted by it and it makes her feel so good about herself.

This would be a great book for a child with Aspergers who is able to comprehend ideas far beyond his/her age. My daughter fits this category (absent the diagnosis)

It's a book about a kingdom of animals that each have a different postitive trait. There's an opening statement for each animal that I have my daughter say... like one page reads:

I AM POLITE.
Whooah. Helloah! I'm Harvey Horse.
In the kingdom we say thank you, I'm sorry, and please.
We choose words with respect and prefer not to tease.
Show respect for others and you'll be aware
Of the many ways there are to care.
Each page is accompanied by gorgeous illustrations and provokes a lot of discussion.

For my son, I'd do one page a night and try to break down the larger concept for him. "Kindness" vs. "Unkindness" and so forth.

But the really nice thing about this book is that it gives a lot of attention to positive statements.

jend

Postby jend » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:58 pm

Batter up :)
Actually, thanks for the posting. I think my daughter will love this book!
Jen
Kayley, 5(NT)
Aidan, 3 (PDD-NOS)

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”