AUTISM AND THE GOD CONNECTION

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
juls35inva

AUTISM AND THE GOD CONNECTION

Postby juls35inva » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:19 pm

GREAT BOOK!! By William Stillman. It focuses on Autisms gifts more than its deficits. Great reading!
mom to Adam 4 PDD, who is no longer non-verbal & Jason 13,ADHD,(& the next Robin Williams)

Rainman

Postby Rainman » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:43 pm

Sound like a nice book I havent read it though what Gifts does it mention?
high functioning Autistic 21 year old

juls35inva

Postby juls35inva » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:54 pm

It focuses on alot of "spiritual" gifts that people overlook. Most of the children and some adults profiled in the book have a sixth sense about spirits and animals and nature.
mom to Adam 4 PDD, who is no longer non-verbal & Jason 13,ADHD,(& the next Robin Williams)

Rainman

Postby Rainman » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:23 pm

Cant say i have those gifts :lol: Glad you enjoyed it thanks for sharing :)

juls35inva

Postby juls35inva » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:46 am

Rainman, It also focuses on "presuming intellect" meaning that Parents or others shouldn't assume a persons intellect or lack thereof based on a persons outward appearence or shell. A wonderful passage in the book tells of a mother who's son could not speak, and that after hearing Mr. Stillman at one of his talks about presuming intellect, she went home and apologized to her non-verbal son about the way she had treated him, after she spoke her apology her son said "ThankYOu". This was a person who beforehand did not speak, but upon hearing his mother apologize for not accepting him as he was and not treating him like he was intelligent due to his being non-verbal spoke his gratitude to his mother. This passage in no way promoted a "miracle" theory it just proved that even though a person may not speak or have the outward appearence of someone who is aware of his/her surroundings that is simply not the case.

Bill Stillman, the author of the book also has Aspergers. He is a wonderfully compassionate and caring human being. He is an advocate for Autistic Individuals. The first portion of the book explains his story and his dealings with Aspergers. Even if you don't have a strong sense of connecting with the afterlife or nature, you should still read this book. Like I said, it focuses more on the positive aspects of Autism versus the "lets fix it" approach that so many other books have. The fact that it was written by an Autistic individual, gives an insight that alot of other material, written by so called "experts" lack.

I would love for you to read it and share your opinion, I'm sure Bill Stillman would love to hear your opinion as well. Here is a link to his website which is also insightful.

http://www.autismweb.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2575#72575

Let me know what you think!

amy

Postby amy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:13 am

juls35inva,

have you had the opportunity to her bill stillman speak? he is awesome and gave me really good insight into my son and how to ineract with him, nurture his passions and above all..... to always, always presume intellect :wink: (and to make certain others do too) i have another of his books demystifying the autistic experience. if you ever get a chance to hear him speak, do it! he's great :wink:
amy, mommy to:

zach 2/21/99
jared 8/24/00
katie 8/23/02

juls35inva

Postby juls35inva » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:18 am

amy wrote:juls35inva,

have you had the opportunity to her bill stillman speak? he is awesome and gave me really good insight into my son and how to ineract with him, nurture his passions and above all..... to always, always presume intellect :wink: (and to make certain others do too) i have another of his books demystifying the autistic experience. if you ever get a chance to hear him speak, do it! he's great :wink:

No Amy, I haven't but I would love to if he is ever in the area. We are in Virginia Beach and the closest one this year was in the upper part of our state. I agree he is very insightful and a wonderful person to talk to.

amy

Postby amy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:30 pm

he was here in richmond a couple (three?) years ago....while he was actually writing Autism and the God Connection
amy, mommy to:

zach 2/21/99

jared 8/24/00

katie 8/23/02

Rainman

Postby Rainman » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:26 am

juls35inva wrote:Rainman, It also focuses on "presuming intellect" meaning that Parents or others shouldn't assume a persons intellect or lack thereof based on a persons outward appearence or shell. A wonderful passage in the book tells of a mother who's son could not speak, and that after hearing Mr. Stillman at one of his talks about presuming intellect, she went home and apologized to her non-verbal son about the way she had treated him, after she spoke her apology her son said "ThankYOu". This was a person who beforehand did not speak, but upon hearing his mother apologize for not accepting him as he was and not treating him like he was intelligent due to his being non-verbal spoke his gratitude to his mother. This passage in no way promoted a "miracle" theory it just proved that even though a person may not speak or have the outward appearence of someone who is aware of his/her surroundings that is simply not the case.

Bill Stillman, the author of the book also has Aspergers. He is a wonderfully compassionate and caring human being. He is an advocate for Autistic Individuals. The first portion of the book explains his story and his dealings with Aspergers. Even if you don't have a strong sense of connecting with the afterlife or nature, you should still read this book. Like I said, it focuses more on the positive aspects of Autism versus the "lets fix it" approach that so many other books have. The fact that it was written by an Autistic individual, gives an insight that alot of other material, written by so called "experts" lack.

I would love for you to read it and share your opinion, I'm sure Bill Stillman would love to hear your opinion as well. Here is a link to his website which is also insightful.

http://www.autismweb.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2575#72575

Let me know what you think!

Thank you for sharing that with me he seems like a very nice man i visited his site.

THat is a very interesting story he just suddenly talked wow :shock:

Let me ask you a question do you think alot of people here have the fix it mentality? im not sure i just get confused by what i read in the diet/biomed forum sometimes :?

juls35inva

Postby juls35inva » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:34 am

I think most parents in general start out with the fix it mentality. I was of that group for about 6 months after my son was diagnosed at age 2, and then I'm not sure when or how but my whole attitude changed. Now I am the preachy one who preaches about acceptance, presuming intellect in our children, and letting them be who they are. As any child should be. I can't speak for everyone but I think alot of the "issues" that parents have with Autism have more to do with them and how they feel about what the rest of the world thinks about them then the actual child itself. Sans, the "fix it" mentality.

Speaking of Bill, have you read his blogs on that site? I would love to hear your opinion!! :)

Rainman

Postby Rainman » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:39 am

juls35inva wrote:I think most parents in general start out with the fix it mentality. I was of that group for about 6 months after my son was diagnosed at age 2, and then I'm not sure when or how but my whole attitude changed. Now I am the preachy one who preaches about acceptance, presuming intellect in our children, and letting them be who they are. As any child should be. I can't speak for everyone but I think alot of the "issues" that parents have with Autism have more to do with them and how they feel about what the rest of the world thinks about them then the actual child itself. Sans, the "fix it" mentality.

Speaking of Bill, have you read his blogs on that site? I would love to hear your opinion!! :)

Thats what me and my mom think about alot of things alot say the diet biomed stuff helps them get higher functioning Does it really I read so much about MHbots and Mb12 shots working and kids becoming more aware and its intriuging i never really heard of this stuff anywhere else?

He has very nice blogs :wink:

juls35inva

Postby juls35inva » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:27 pm

Yes he does!! :)

I agree with you and your mom. I think the deal with the vitamin shots is that maybe their children are functioning better because they are getting proper nutrition. Which would be the case with any child. My son gets vitamin drops but not because we're waiting for a "miracle" to happen, but because he is so picky about what he eats and doesn't like veggies, so he gets a supplement because of his poor diet. Yes, it does make him more alert and he is alot more healthy, but thats because he was sorely lacking in certain vitamins. I don't think that has anything to do with Autism, except that his Autism comes with certain sensory issues that are food related. You sound like you have a great realtionship with your mom, is this so? I often read alot of posts and blogs from Adults and teens with Autism that don't think highly of their parents due to the treatments that were pushed on them. This is another reason why I think accepting your child and loving them for who they are is so important. I never want my son to think of me and speak of me the way some of the people I have read speak of their parents. But then again, My children and I have a mutual respect for one another. Somewhere along the line, I think some parents start thinking of their children as a "thing" that needs to be fixed and not an individual that see's things and processes things differently. Its sad. I absolutely hate it when I see these shows on Autism and they are speaking about the child as if the child wasn't there at all, and the child is right next to them. Like because the child can't speak he also can't hear? Its insane and cruel. No wonder the poor kids are so unhappy and frustrated. I would be too!! It sure is nice talking to you Rainman, You're Parents must be so proud of you. You sound like a very kind hearted, polite and intelligent young man!! The world should follow your example, we would be a better place for it!! :lol:

Rainman

Postby Rainman » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:58 pm

juls35inva wrote:Yes he does!! :)

I agree with you and your mom. I think the deal with the vitamin shots is that maybe their children are functioning better because they are getting proper nutrition. Which would be the case with any child. My son gets vitamin drops but not because we're waiting for a "miracle" to happen, but because he is so picky about what he eats and doesn't like veggies, so he gets a supplement because of his poor diet. Yes, it does make him more alert and he is alot more healthy, but thats because he was sorely lacking in certain vitamins. I don't think that has anything to do with Autism, except that his Autism comes with certain sensory issues that are food related. You sound like you have a great realtionship with your mom, is this so? I often read alot of posts and blogs from Adults and teens with Autism that don't think highly of their parents due to the treatments that were pushed on them. This is another reason why I think accepting your child and loving them for who they are is so important. I never want my son to think of me and speak of me the way some of the people I have read speak of their parents. But then again, My children and I have a mutual respect for one another. Somewhere along the line, I think some parents start thinking of their children as a "thing" that needs to be fixed and not an individual that see's things and processes things differently. Its sad. I absolutely hate it when I see these shows on Autism and they are speaking about the child as if the child wasn't there at all, and the child is right next to them. Like because the child can't speak he also can't hear? Its insane and cruel. No wonder the poor kids are so unhappy and frustrated. I would be too!! It sure is nice talking to you Rainman, You're Parents must be so proud of you. You sound like a very kind hearted, polite and intelligent young man!! The world should follow your example, we would be a better place for it!! :lol:

Its so nice talking to you too you may have replied to a few of my posts but i didnt remember or not :?

I agree with you on that i was shopping with my dad a t target today and saw some young adults and teenagers swearing at some store clerk i shook myhead and walked away in disgust that they were hasseling him they were NTs.

I am close with my mom i think some of the other autistics have their own issues my parents never tried to cure me or treat me in the slightest

they taught me to live with it anyone who wants their kids to end up like me i would reccomend the same. :wink:

However i was born with autism i didnt get it from a shot

The parents you mentioned are there any like that here ?

i really hope not everyone here seems really nice im a little worried :? :oops: I think some parents are just trying to help their kids i never saw any parents here as bad. i dont think they are

what do you think? thanks for all of the nice compliments

merry

Postby merry » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:58 am

Rainman,
Yes, there are a lot of very nice parents and grandparents here who really want to do what they feel is best for their children. As a parent, in the beginning it is hard to accept that your child may not be the child you expected. That doesn't make the parents bad just normal. I think we can help our kids and still be accepting of who they are. Don't you?

Your parents should be very proud of you and I think they must have done everything they could to raise such a fine and caring person as you.

:D :wink: Merry
Merry mom to A-14 yo boy with autism and type 1 diabetes

littlebopeep

Postby littlebopeep » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:28 am

Just bursting in to say that I, too, read this book and loved it. William Stillman is insightful and inspiring. He has a respectful POV concerning autism. Here is his website: http://williamstillman.com/

He is working on a documentary of this book. One of my e-friend's child will be in it.
Fred, 7, NT
Barney, 5, autism

Rainman

Postby Rainman » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:48 am

merry wrote:Rainman,
Yes, there are a lot of very nice parents and grandparents here who really want to do what they feel is best for their children. As a parent, in the beginning it is hard to accept that your child may not be the child you expected. That doesn't make the parents bad just normal. I think we can help our kids and still be accepting of who they are. Don't you?

Your parents should be very proud of you and I think they must have done everything they could to raise such a fine and caring person as you.

:D :wink: Merry

Yes i do I think everyone here does that and if they dont yet maybe they will in time :wink: Ive read how hard autism can be for some parents

but my whole life ive seen things through the other perspective and didnt understand how i could be annoying let me just say my social skills have come light years since i was 10. :)

They did they are proud people here always tell me that lol in like every post i make HA HA 8)

and thank you for the kind compliment it means alot. :)

juls35inva

Postby juls35inva » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:40 pm

by the way, Rainman and anyone else I posted a link and thread to this article on this board. it was written by Bill Stillman and it is one of my favorite articles by him.

http://www.williamstillman.com/archive/ ... faith.html

let me know what you think. It pretty much sums it up for me. :D

merry

Postby merry » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:56 am

Thanks juls35inva,
I agree with his reasoning, for sure and I am definitely going to read this one. :) Merry
Merry mom to A-14 yo boy with autism and type 1 diabetes

Kiradele

Postby Kiradele » Mon May 28, 2007 8:58 pm

Hi Juls!

I bought this book awhile ago but have yet to read it...I'm bumping it up on my "to read" list!

PS I'm AndrewsMommy from the other boards...
Kiradele

Mom to Andrew, 5

"Seize the Day!"

juls35inva

Postby juls35inva » Tue May 29, 2007 7:40 pm

Kiradele wrote:Hi Juls!

I bought this book awhile ago but have yet to read it...I'm bumping it up on my "to read" list!

PS I'm AndrewsMommy from the other boards...

HEY!! 8)

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”