Where are the metals with in the cell?

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

lekolbet

Re: Where are the metals with in the cell?

Postby lekolbet » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:10 pm

This is fun! :D Can I play! Found this in an article I read recently:

http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/Liodine2.htm

''They took the iodine out of the bread and some medical (mild expletive deleted) substituted bromide, a bio-poison in its place.[vi] There are actually four halogens: iodine, bromine, fluorine and chlorine. All these halogens use the same receptors in the body. Therefore if a person’s diet is deficient in iodine the iodine receptors in the thyroid and stomach, for example, may fill up with bromine which is common in grains, bleached flour, sodas, nuts and oils as well as several plant foods. Iodine is depleted by bromine, which is used as a spray on fruits and vegetables, in baked goods, as a fumigant, and in Prozac, Paxil and many other pharmaceutical drugs. Chlorine, fluorine, and fluoride are chemically related to iodine, and compete with it, blocking iodine receptors in the thyroid gland.

Iodine intake immediately increases the excretion of bromide, fluoride,
and some heavy metals including mercury and lead. Bromide and
fluoride are not removed by any other chelator or detoxifying technique."

Ok, that same article says this:

"Dr. Brownstein indicates that iodine is also a chelator of mercury and had tested quite carefully the amounts removed.[xxiii] Mercury not only poisons the nervous system and digestive tract, it can also poison the thyroid gland. There are 4 iodine binding sites or receptors on the thyroid gland. These receptors bind with the iodine we get from our diet. The iodine enters the thyroid and activates it. If the thyroid is not absorbing enough iodine it will not be fully activated and the body's temperature will be abnormally low. Mercury from dental fillings can migrate to the thyroid gland and sit on one or more of the thyroid's 4 iodine receptors blocking the iodine from reaching the receptors and activating the thyroid. When this happens iodine is not absorbed in normal amounts by the thyroid gland. "

So, here is my question(s)? How does iodine chelate mercury???? Is it chemically possible??? Any thoughts???? I also don't understand how mercury binds with (sits on) the receptor sites (what properties make it able to do that), but that is probably another tutorial. Do specific metals have a tendency to mess with specific organs??? Is there life on mars?? :?

Thanks mommyjen for starting this tread. Thanks WD for the great info.

mommyjen

Postby mommyjen » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:12 pm

Oooh Interesting lekolbet! Check out this page here: http://www.heatherbruce.com.au/healthy- ... earthealth

"Mercury is a deadly cardiac poison whose best antidote is selenium - since they bind together making it easier for the body to remove the selenium-mercury compound. "

Okay now forward to here http://www.i-sis.org.uk/AidsandSelenium.php and think of the xmrv retrovirus:

"Retroviruses like HIV depress selenium levels in their hosts by encoding the gene for the human selonenzyme glutathione peroxidase. This allows the virus to replicate indefinitely by continuously depriving the host of glutathione (an inhibitor of reverse transcriptase,) and the four basic components of glutathione peroxidase: selenium, cysteine, glutamine and tryptophan. As levels of selenium decline so do CD4 cells which allow "opportunistic" pathogens to invade the immune system and further deplete levels of selenium and CD4 cells in a positive feedback loop whereby if one variable declines, it causes further depression in the other. This downward spiral compromises the ability of the immune system to defend the body from infection, which plays a significant role in AIDS mortality. "

My daughter has been doing so well of late. As I said on another site: rare is the day when she has a bad day now. We have garlic with ever meal, probably about 1/2 t. raw garlic powder in her food (she eats about 8 times a day) We also give fucoidan with her morning meal (from VRP). We also do apple cider vinegar with all meals approx 1 and 1/2 t- 2t. and saurkraut with every meal. Other morning supplements ginseng, vitamin d drops, milk thistle, and about 1/2 t. phosphrous.( phosphorous is not everyday.)

Anyway, I know I have a couple of tangents here but I just had to share some of this.
Last edited by mommyjen on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mommy to:
7 yr old girl
6 yr old girl with ASD
3 yr old girl
New Baby boy
~

williams_dad

Postby williams_dad » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:51 pm

at the risk of being accused of saying I told you so
I found out the info on Iodine last May ( 2009 )
http://spectrumsleuth.10.forumer.com/vi ... .php?t=120
I do try to let everyone know...

Iodine and Selenium is crucial to what we are doing
and they both are concentrated in the thyroid
and both heavily affected by heavy metals PARTICULARLY Mercury

since finding that I am now taking kelp tablets

have a really close look at that thread at Spectrum sleuth
look what Maria found
"Iodine deficiency is the most common worldwide cause of mental retardation."

WD
http://spectrumsleuth.fr.yuku.com/forums/11/General/General

williams_dad

Postby williams_dad » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:56 pm

"Mercury is a deadly cardiac poison whose best antidote is selenium - since they bind together making it easier for the body to remove the selenium-mercury compound. "

to be honest, while that is true, it is only half true

in a biological system the selenium has to be transported to the mercury so they can bind together.
The best form of selenium is glutathione peroxidase
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutathione_peroxidase
http://www.answers.com/topic/glutathione-peroxidase-2

WD

williams_dad

Postby williams_dad » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:04 pm

We also give fucoidan with her morning meal

have you ever, per chance, googled fucoidean and cancer.......

WD

OneRockAtATime

Postby OneRockAtATime » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:19 am

The iodine enters the thyroid and activates it. If the thyroid is not absorbing enough iodine it will not be fully activated and the body's temperature will be abnormally low.

This is interesting info. I have had to explain to the school nurse's that if my children temp is over 97.1 they have a fever. There are 3 nurse's who rotate between the 2 elementary schools they all know. Everytime we go to the ER I have to explain that if my children temp is over 97.1 they are sick. They look at me like I have a 3rd head. I then say you are free to check the records on everytime we have come in here and about half the time my children temp is 97.1 they are still sick or injured but that is a normal temp for them and for me (CFS) and my sister (Firbo) my older son has ADHD. Then we have the next problem we all and I mean all 4 of us remember as I include this specific sister we are the only 2 children with our mother and father. More siblings but they have different mothers. So here is the next problem trying to explain that the reason my childs temp is 96,95,94 is because we run what is called reverse fevers. I have done this since I was a child. Once again they look at me like I have a 3rd head. I don't mean to sound like I know so much more then them but OMG where did they go to school. I know more medically then most of the people who treat me and my children. It gets a little old having to teach a Dr. or Nurse what is wrong and what they need to do. We can't be the only people in this entire town who have low body temp and run reverse fevers!

JeniB

Postby JeniB » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:13 am

My son's low body temperature was one of the first strange things I noticed about him early on. At all the baby well checks his temp was 97. Of course the very educated doctors in our country didn't seem to take notice since they only know what drug to use to treat a symptom. he's also low in selenium, manganese and glutathione.

Jen
Jen
(mom of 3)

iherb referral code: HOF516
save $5 on first purchase

danniah

Postby danniah » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:39 am

This thread is fascinating! thank you for all the info in it!
And you now have me thinking about my own daughter's low body temp...

amanda NC

Postby amanda NC » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:36 pm

I'm betting almost all our kids do. Several years ago, we compared notes on our kids on the LOD website. Almost allhad low body temp--moms too. All my kids and my husband, both my parents, and my brother and sister have temps around 97. We used to think it was neat; a family quirk. Only in recent years have I read that it is indicative of something wrong.

On the LOD, they talked about Wilson's syndrome--which is low body temp. And the low oxalate diet would often help this.

The LOD is something we need to talk about more. It was a really big intervention for us.
Amanda, mom of 3

OneRockAtATime

Postby OneRockAtATime » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:13 pm

Yes this is pretty fascinating. Sadly I read on of the post really late last night and then started looking up low body temp and then that led to Addison's and Wilson's Disease and I read up on them. OMG there is so much info out there and so much that can go wrong. I am just trying to sort out so much info thank goodness I have you all to kinda guide me cause I would never have even known where to start were it not for this group.

lekolbet

Postby lekolbet » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:19 am

WD,

I've learned so much from this thread, I don't want it to end. Anything else we should know about metals????

OneRockAtATime

Postby OneRockAtATime » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:25 am

The links WD put up are great. They lead me to look for some other info. You would be amazed at how much one little thing connects to the next. Cal, Mag, Zinc, Iodoine, Immune Deregulation, and the list goes on and on. I have come to one conclusion that I personally feel in my gut and have for a long time the more I read the more it seems to make sense. They are free to call it Autism all they want but maybe they need to change the defination of Autism to an AutoImmune Disease not a mental problem. I will fish out the post from another board where a parent put up their childs T-Lymph Test before and after and had video of before and after. My son's blood work was almost exactally the same. Their son at 5 reads better then my almost 9 year old who by the way does not have Autism.

MildCaseDad

Postby MildCaseDad » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:39 am

There are 1-3 good threads by Cutler on the Autism-Mercury group about how ALA works. [Sorry, I just looked but can't find them.]

If I recall (and can correctly characterize his thoughts), he thinks that the metals are found in the mitochondria. As the ALA converts into DHLA and goes into cells, it can liberate these metals.

Metals in the mitochondria would explain a lot.... many parents see signs of mitochondrial issues in their kid. We did too. [e.g. low tone, etc] However, when I looked at what were the signs of mitochondrial disease, he didn't fit any of the moulds. [THANK HEAVENS!!!] It made sense to me then, that AC could be right....

williams_dad

Postby williams_dad » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:16 pm

lekolbet wrote:WD,

I've learned so much from this thread, I don't want it to end. Anything else we should know about metals????

well as I said before - this is essentially one way heavy metals enter the system which is through mainly the digestive system, that is to say the body needing a certain nutrient and taking up another in it's place.
I haven't covered metals entering via the lungs nor by direct entry into the bloodstream via vaccination etc.

For that you might want to PM Maria Lujan whose knowledge of these things far surpasses mine.

WD

OneRockAtATime

Postby OneRockAtATime » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:39 am

Here is a thought to chew on maybe someone will have some interesting things to say about. Not all of our children have heavy metal poisoning. My son does and the Dr made a specific statement that his blood work had all the markers we would expect to see in a child with heavy metal poisoing as opposed to the children with pesticide poisoing. I am guessing that people who live in really crowded area's and people who live in farming area's are more likely to see that. Any thoughts anyone.

williams_dad

Postby williams_dad » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:24 pm

After all the years I have spent on this board I am convinced that anyone who thinks that autism is solely mercury poisoning has missed the boat. I am sure it is way more complicated than that.

There are so many toxic chemicals, heavy metals etc that our kids are exposed to, even when it comes to a child who regresses immediately after a vaccine there is also Aluminium, foreign viruses, preservatives...

There are also steroids that destroy the myelin sheath
http://spectrumsleuth.10.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=29

WD

OneRockAtATime

Postby OneRockAtATime » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:56 pm

I had to take steriods while pregnant. I would not take the pills cause the Dr warned me of the danger but I had to use the creams because I had eczema so bad that when I had to go in a hospital out of town a Nurse had the nerve to ask me if I was an IV drug user. I had huge patches all over my body of ozzing puss.

lekolbet

Postby lekolbet » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:47 am

There is a couple we know, one of them has a sister who is a doctor, she did a full body scan on them (for fun). They both showed small black spots on the lungs (nonsmokers). She said this is a common finding in those that grew up/live in the midwest, from pesticides. :shock:

williams_dad

Postby williams_dad » Tue May 25, 2010 7:59 pm

I received this Q via PM but I thought very useful to try and answer in the forum for everyone

I just have a question, if i use the UTM result to identify which heavy metals my kid excrete, then give him the mineral which is in the same column (eg: Cd and Zn) will that help the body by finding more zinc available for the biochemical process, or is there a higher tendency (affinity ) toward the Cd for some reason?. Will giving more zn result in accumulation of Zn at that point? does that mean we have to get rid of the Cd first before you try to fill in with Zn?

so
#1 will that help the body by finding more zinc available for the biochemical process,

supplementing more zinc will definitely help but there is a limit as zinc is toxic in high doses
in fact it is classed as a heavy metal ! even though it is crucial to many enzyme reactions in the body

#2 Will giving more zn result in accumulation of Zn at that point?

very good question, because more doesn't necessarily mean better
take iron for example ...
regardless of how much you give , only about 2-3 mg are absorbed
it's just the way the gut works
it means however - that you are going to be giving "whatever supplement" for months ....

have a read here
http://sickle.bwh.harvard.edu/fe-def.html
Oral iron supplementation is the ideal way to replace iron stores as it uses the body's normal mechanisms. The shortcoming is the gastrointestinal tract's limited capacity for iron absorption. Only about 2 to 3 mg of elemental iron are absorbed, even when 50 or 100 mg are presented to the gut lumen. Most orally consumed iron flows untouched through the alimentary tract. Replenishing a 2,000 mg iron deficit can take most of a year. With ongoing blood loss, replacement of stores with oral iron becomes a herculean task. Many, if not most, patients fail to comply with such a prolonged medical regimen. Therapeutic failures are common with oral iron replacement.

more iron is actually more food for pathogens in the gut
iron feeds yeast and bacteria like crazy
stay away from iron enriched / fortified foods
and supplement with lactoferrin

#3 does that mean we have to get rid of the Cd first before you try to fill in with Zn?

well no... but it really does help
Ok as I said Zinc is really crucial to many enzyme reactions, as well as digestion
for example low zinc means low stomach acid
low acid means lower zinc absorption
which means even lower acid
and the whole system spirals downward
to correct this using supplementation with zinc, betaine HCL etc etc
is going to take months and months
a seriously looooong time

so yes - get rid of any indicated heavy metals any way you can
but don't wait to get your good minerals in
particularly zinc, magnesium, selenium, iodine, chromium, molybdenum

#4 or is there a higher tendency (affinity ) toward the Cd for some reason?.
actually I'm not sure, I will chase that up

I hope I have answered your questions
regards
WD

mommyjen

Postby mommyjen » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:54 pm

I am bumping this back up because I have been reading up on these things again. The one thing that struck me was maybe this is one of the reasons some kids do better while on chelation. It gets out the stores of metals so that the recently supplemented minerals can do their enzymatic function. Hmm..possibilities...

Mommy to:
7 yr old girl
6 yr old girl with ASD
3 yr old girl
New Baby boy
~

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”