New accomplishments? How is your kid doing?

Discuss getting a diagnosis, educational help & electronic devices and apps for autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Ian's mom

Re: New accomplishments? How is your kid doing?

Postby Ian's mom » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:47 pm

Yay!! Wonderful!! Is there something in particular you think has contributed to this recently, or do you think it is a culmination of everything?
After the storm comes the rainbow.

Mybuddy12

Postby Mybuddy12 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:31 pm

My little guy turned 5 in November. After feeling a pleatue on the DAN protocol after almost 3 years, we decided to give the YASKO protocol a plunge. For those of you not familiar, it is based upon your child's specific genetic mutations.

It's hard to say whether it's this that is working or a combination of everything. He is enrolled in a special ed class at our Local ISD 5 afternoons a week, 3 mornings a week I have him enrolled in a "typical" preschool with a full time aide, he receives OT at school and at home as well as SLP at school and at home, goes to music therapy once a week, gymnastics every Saturday with "typical" peers, and we have a in-home program going under the direction of a behavioral therapist.

He's been a tough nut to crack I tell you and is still VERY much effected by his autism. Just today we took him to Menards and he turned into an instant monster - stores and church seem to bring out the worst in him :shock: His behavior gets out of control as he runs away from us, purposfully falls on the floor, repetedly throws his hand fidgits, and the limit today was when he started throwing things off the shelf - yup - nice :| So I had to carry his 55 lb. body out of the store crying as everyone looked at me like I was an alien with 3 heads....and he kept saying, "my head hurts Mommy," "I go home...." etc. The sensory stuff of a store just makes him CRAZY. It is so frustrating. Take the good with the bad tho, b/c if you thrive only on the bad, you'll miss all the amazing other things he is gaining. I told my husband today I have never known someone to bring me so much joy yet so much pain all in one day.....

God bless the gains my friends~ It's all we got to hang on to!!!
Mybuddy12

Dani

Postby Dani » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:49 pm

MyBuddy12 - That is awesome progress!!!! Keep us updated. :D

We had a really good team meeting this past week with all those who work with her. There is one person on the team who is stern and very no-nonsense. She rarely, if ever, gives any praise. However, at this meeting, she said that my daughter has made amazing progress this year. I think a lot of it has to do with the preschool teacher we've had this year. She has been so helpful and so willing to think outside the box. I wish I could hire her to be a tutor. You know I might ask her about that. She is close to retirement and I think she wouldn't mind a part time job. Anyway, previously my daughter could rote count up to 40, but now she can do the 1:1 correspondence counting for each item. For example, if you give her 10 items she knows to count it out and say there are 10 items of whatever. She's also starting the scan the faces of her peers with interest. This is a little thing, but something she wasn't doing before.
I didn't know how strong I could be until I had to be.

BlearyEyedAlchemist

Postby BlearyEyedAlchemist » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:55 pm

DS was on the slide at the zoo and reached out to help a little kid and said "help you?" I thought I was going to cry. I'm holding onto that because I know more is there and it helps me when DH thinks he's not making much progress...argh!

Mybuddy12

Postby Mybuddy12 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:20 pm

Well today I took my little guy to the dentist and when they asked him to sit in the special chair, he said, "No siree, it's Mommy's turn..." and I was excited about THAT!!! I had to giggle...he at least gets that he can try to weasel out of things....like the dentist!!! Oh, hang onto the good stuff!!!
Mybuddy12

FuzzyOne

Postby FuzzyOne » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:47 pm

i have something to share and i am so stinking excited! our boy has all of a sudden started participating in circle time - he's doing the hand motions for songs and they aren't having to wrangle him back to the group. he is really digging it! yay for him :) this just feels like a really big social leap for him :D <-- that's my face this week :lol:

lulubelle21

Postby lulubelle21 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:06 pm

Fuzzyone! So Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sms

Postby sms » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:40 pm

My 3 year 4 month old little boy is potty trained!!!!!

Ian's mom

Postby Ian's mom » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:13 am

Yay!! Lets hear some more!!

Dani

Postby Dani » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:11 pm

sms wrote:My 3 year 4 month old little boy is potty trained!!!!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janie

Postby Janie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:28 pm

My DS was afraid of the swings not long ago. Today at school, he asked a teacher to help him on the swings and told her he wanted to swing 99 times! She did it, said he loved it, and everyone got a kick out of the 99 times thing.

Yesterday at school, they were doing nursery rhymes during group time, and when it was DS's turn, he actually stood up and recited Hickory Dickory Dock! I wish I could set up webcams or something around his classroom - I'd love to see all this firsthand!
Mom to one 6 yr old - HFA

Dani

Postby Dani » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Yesterday my child's preschool class went on a field trip to places of interest in the neighborhood like the fire station, library, and pizza restaurant. After she came home, we asked her what she did. We do that all the time and we didn't expect a response because she doesn't talk about past events. To our surprise, she replied "I went on a field trip!"
This is probably not a big milestone for typical parents. But it's a big deal for us. I can't wait until she can tell us in greater detail what exactly she did on the field trip or at school. We're very slowly getting there...

Liz77

Postby Liz77 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:27 pm

S. started going to a chiropractor and one of the staff has severe rheumatoid arthritis. Her hands are very crippled from the disease. When he saw her hands, he opened his mouth, looked at me and stopped. He waited until she was turned away and gestured toward his hands, but didn't say a word. Afterwards, he whispered in my ear, "Did you see her hands, I was very quiet, mom." Of course, as we were leaving the parking lot, I started to explain arthritis to him, the car window was wide open and who walks out of the building? My son's social skills are better then mine. :oops:

It's great to hear how well everyone's kids are doing!

TidyVaughansta

Postby TidyVaughansta » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:28 pm

Today my little boy (three and a half) made eye contact with his classroom support assistant each time he said a number from the snakes and ladder game in the playground! His eye contact is really coming on lately, it's fab!

Ian's mom

Postby Ian's mom » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:21 am

We went to 2 parks yesterday (our house is being painted, so trying to stay out of it). Ian was so, so good and appropriate to all the kids. He was really patient with the younger kids who kept trying to take his toys or mess up what he was building in the sand box (they were like 2 and 3 yrs). He touched a fish that a man caught (first time I touched a live fish, and boy was it gross). At the second park he was like "I'm Ian, what's your name? You wanta play? I'll follow you then you follow me." It was just magical-one of those good days that I hide in my heart.

Dani

Postby Dani » Mon May 17, 2010 3:40 am

It's good to read all the updates here. Keep them coming.

We recently had the annual IEP meeting with the school. My child's speech was evaluated to be similar to that of a 3 year old and I'm thrilled considering she's still not yet 5.
I've noticed now she seems to be paying attention a bit more (and I mean a bit more, not a lot more) to simple conversations my husband and I have, and if she hears something she doesn't like, she makes sure we know.
She's also taking a serious interest in our elderly dog. For years she didn't care about the dog, but now she wants to feed it, play with it, make it do stuff. Yesterday, she was asking me to make the dog open its mouth so she could feed it a slice of lemon. See my daughter likes to eat lemons, but unfortunately our dog doesn't. I had a hard time making her understand the dog wouldn't like to eat a slice of lemon. :lol:

slesage

Postby slesage » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:19 pm

Today at the park my son said unprompted "Mom come with me" Thanks God we seem to slowly becoming out our regression :P

Stacy

lulubelle21

Postby lulubelle21 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:06 pm

HE'S PLAYING HIDE AND GO SEEK WITH HIS SISTER!!!!!!
RIGHT NOW MY SON IS PLAYING HIDE AND GO SEEK. HE TOLD HER TO HIDE, HE COVERED HIS EYES WITH HIS HANDS, COUNTED TO 5 AND YELLED READY OR NOT HERE I COME! I DIDN'T EVEN THINK HE KNEW WHAT HIDE AND GO SEEK WAS! AND THEN HE FOUND HER AND HE TOLD HER SHE HAS TO YELL BOO AND SCARE HIM.
Ok - I need to calm down - hahahahahah - this is awesome!!!!

mikselva

Postby mikselva » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:22 am

RIGHT NOW MY SON IS PLAYING HIDE AND GO SEEK. HE TOLD HER TO HIDE, HE COVERED HIS EYES WITH HIS HANDS, COUNTED TO 5 AND YELLED READY OR NOT HERE I COME! I DIDN'T EVEN THINK HE KNEW WHAT HIDE AND GO SEEK WAS! AND THEN HE FOUND HER AND HE TOLD HER SHE HAS TO YELL BOO AND SCARE HIM.

I had this same experience yesterday :D My son is mostly nonverbal, but he has a speech device with hide and go seek programmed in. So it will say "Do you want to play hide and go seek?" then you hit each number to count to 10 and it will say "REady or not here I come" It was so cute him looking for his sister. He giggles the whole time because she jumps out and scares him (she's 5). when it's my son's turn to hide, he giggles so it's easy for her to find him :D ( I should post on Facebook, it's so cute) He's 7 now, but he seems to be getting some nice social back and forth skills. He is really tolerating other children more and wanting to play. Last year, he preferred to be by himself a lot more. Having a day like yesterday gets you through the bad days :)

It's awesome to read how everyone is doing!

Liz77

Postby Liz77 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:48 am

mikselva and lulubelle21,
That is so cool! Hide and seek, tag, and chase are such great games for kids to start with.

I'm bragging, but I came downstairs this morning and S. was up already playing a video game. I worked last night and he was asleep when I got home at 1am. He saw me, ran over and gave me a hug. He's always been an affectionate kid. Then he said, "You're beautiful, Mom." He's just such a cool kid. He got his purple belt in Tae Kwon Do yesterday.

On ironic note, his piano teacher told him to stop making eye contact when he playing the piano. He keeps stopping mid piece to look at her for approval. I started laughing when she told him that, she has no idea he used to have ASD. She knows he has ADHD. Since his eye contact has always been great with family and close friends, I want to call everyone who ever complained about his lack of eye contact and tell them.

Return to “Autism Support/Education/Technology”