Some of our favorite cilantro recipies

Recipes for special diets or picky eaters (GFCF, SCD, yeast- or sugar-free, etc.)

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please credit the authors of recipes posted here.
mimicry

Some of our favorite cilantro recipies

Postby mimicry » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:21 pm

mimi's faux pho broth!

I started with this recipe then played around with it till the flavors were perfect.

5 cups canned chicken broth (swanson organic is the best for this)
4 medium garlic cloves, peeled and smashed with a knife
1 (2inch) peice of ginger, peeled, cut into 1/8 inch rounds, and lightly smashed with knife handle
2 (3 inch) cinnamon sticks (best with beef) OR 1 stalk lemon grass, smashed with knife handle(best with seafood) (both works too)
2 pods star anise
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar

(whole cloves optional)

Bring all ingredients to boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce to low and simmer partially covered to blend flavors about 20 minutes. Strain.

FYI I found that when I was taste testing to see when I got it right, that I needed to add a bit of cilantro and lime or it just tasted off no matter what, it was missing that bright component.

That's the broth, the soup is finished by adding the meat of your choice, sliced rare beef is traditional, I love seafood such as squid, vietnamese fish balls (pollack based) shrimp and crab. And fresh cooked rice noodles,

But it's all in how you eat it.

Lots and lots of bean sprouts (added in raw)
Jalapeño or thai bird chilies, sliced (just let steep until the broth is the spicyness you like)
Fresh limes to squeeze, I let my whole limes steep a bit as well, make sure they are organic if you steep since pesticides can be leached out of the skin.
Tons of fresh cilantro just heap it on top
sliced red onion, sometimes some fried garlic
thai basil or mint to compliment the cilantro, again just heaped on top.

It will end up looking a bit like this, although mine usually has a ton more herbs piled on =)

You may want to find a vietnamese restaurant to try it at first, they are usually pretty inexpensive, my son and I can easily split a bowl, they are huge, and the beef is about 6 bucks and the seafood 8.

mimicry

Re: Some of our favorite cilantro recipies

Postby mimicry » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:26 pm

Chicken Tikka Masala (from America's Test Kitchen)

This is best when prepared with whole-milk yogurt, but low-fat yogurt can be substituted. For a spicier dish, do not remove the ribs and seeds from the chile. If you prefer, substitute 2 teaspoons ground coriander, 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper for the garam masala. The sauce can be made ahead, refrigerated for up to 4 days in an airtight container, and gently reheated before adding the hot chicken. Serve with basmati rice.

Serves 4 to 6

Chicken Tikka

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp ground coriander

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp salt

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt

2 Tbsp vegetable oil

2 medium garlic cloves, minced (2 tsp)

1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger

Masala Sauce

3 Tbsp vegetable oil

1 medium onion, diced fine

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 tsp grated fresh ginger

1 serrano chile, seeds and ribs removed, minced

1 Tbsp tomato paste

1 Tbsp garam masala

1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes

2 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp salt

2/3 c heavy cream

1/4 c fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (I use more!)

1. FOR THE CHICKEN: Combine cumin, coriander, cayenne, and salt in small bowl. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with spice mixture, pressing gently so mixture adheres. Place chicken on plate, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes. In large bowl, whisk together yogurt, oil, garlic, and ginger; set aside.

2. FOR THE SAUCE: Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until light golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, chile, tomato paste, and garam masala; cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, sugar, and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cream and return to simmer. Remove pan from heat and cover to keep warm.

3. While sauce simmers, adjust oven rack to upper-middle position (about 6 inches from heating element) and heat broiler. Using tongs, dip chicken into yogurt mixture (chicken should be coated with thick layer of yogurt) and arrange on wire rack set in foil-lined rimmed baking sheet or broiler pan. Discard excess yogurt mixture. Broil chicken until thickest parts register 160 degrees on instant-read thermometer and exterior is lightly charred in spots, 10 to 18 minutes, flipping chicken halfway through cooking.

4. Let chicken rest 5 minutes, then cut into 1-inch chunks and stir into warm sauce (do not simmer chicken in sauce). Stir in cilantro, adjust seasoning with salt, and serve.

mimicry

Postby mimicry » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:30 pm

Pico de Gaillo

our favorite condiment!

Sorry, this one I eyeball. It's essentially fresh tomatoes, jalapeño, onion, garlic, lime, cilantro and salt.

Seed and dice tomatoes and jalapeño, chop onion finely, mince garlic, squeeze on lime juice and sprinkle with salt, chop cilantro, let marinate, put on whatever you want!

mimicry

Postby mimicry » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:33 pm

Chelation Cilantro Pesto, source http://www.rawfoodinfo.com/articles/art ... etals.html

ilantro Chelation Pesto

4 cloves garlic
1/3 cup Brazil nuts (selenium)
1/3 cup sunflower seeds (cysteine)
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (zinc, magnesium)
2 cups packed fresh cilantro (coriander, Chinese parsley) (vitamin A)
2/3 cup flaxseed oil
4 tablespoons lemon juice (vitamin C)
2 tsp dulse powder
Sea salt to taste

rocess the cilantro and flaxseed oil in a blender until the coriander is chopped. Add the garlic, nuts and seeds, dulse and lemon juice and mix until the mixture is finely blended into a paste. Add a pinch to sea salt to taste and blend again. Store in dark glass jars if possible. It freezes well, so purchase cilantro in season and fill enough jars to last through the year.

I leave out the dulse powder, but it's a pretty good supplement.

mimicry

Postby mimicry » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:35 pm

Shrimp Ceviche with Papaya

2 pounds small shrimp, peeled, steamed for two minutes and cooled
1 red onion
1 red bell pepper
1 small bunch cilantro
1 cup passion fruit juice
1 cup orange juice
2 limes
1 large papaya
salt and pepper

Place lightly cooked shrimp in a large bowl. Set aside.
Peel and thinly slice the red onion, cutting into a julienne. Cut the red pepper in a similar fashion and set aside. Pluck the cilantro leaves and set aside.
Combine passion fruit juice and orange juice in a mixing bowl. Squeeze the lime juice and combine with the shrimp. Allow to marinate for 10 minutes.
Cut the papaya in half, cutting through the center, lengthwise. Remove and discard the seeds and place the papaya on a platter.
Pour half the passion fruit-orange juice over the shrimp and allow to marinate five minutes longer. Add half of the red onion, red pepper and cilantro leaves to the shrimp. Season with salt and pepper.
Place the shrimp into the papaya and top with the remaining onion, pepper and cilantro. Serve immediately.

mimicry

Postby mimicry » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:39 pm

Som Tam-Green Papaya Salad

I found I really liked this recipe -http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaisnacks/r/PapayaSalad.htm

This green papaya salad, known as som tam, is popular in most areas of Thailand, and when you taste it, you'll know why. The slightly tart flavor of the green papaya combines well with the spice of red chili pepper and the saltiness of shrimp paste and fish sauce, plus the sweetness of honey. Green papaya salad is a beautifully unique and flavor-filled dish that will make a great impression. It's also easy to make, low-calorie, and very nutritious. So try this Som tam recipe for dinner tonight!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: SERVES 4 as a Side Dish
Ingredients:
1 small green papaya, OR 1/2 large (your papaya should be very firm, the flesh white to light orange in color)
1/2 cup honey-roasted peanuts OR plain roasted, or glazed cashews (see recipe link below)
1-2 cups bean sprouts
1 to 2 tomatoes, cut into long thin strips
1 red chili, minced (seeds removed if you prefer a milder salad)
3 spring onions, sliced into long matchstick-like pieces
1/2 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped if leaves are large
handful of fresh coriander
DRESSING:
1/2 tsp. shrimp paste (if vegetarian, substitute 1 extra Tbsp. soy sauce)
2 Tbsp. good-tasting oil, such as olive
2 Tbsp. fish sauce OR vegetarian fish sauce, OR 2+1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
3 Tbsp. lime juice
1/2 to 1 Tbsp. liquid honey
Preparation:
For a step-by-step version of this recipe (photo instructions), see my: How to Make Authentic Thai Green Papaya Salad.
Prepare the dressing by mixing together all dressing ingredients together in a cup. Make sure shrimp paste and honey dissolve fully (if using glazed nuts, you may only need to add 1/2 Tbsp. honey). Set aside.
Peel the green papaya, then slice it in half and remove all the seeds. Using the largest grater you have, grate the papaya (or you can use a potato peeler to create thin, ribbon-like strips). Place in a large bowl.
Add the sliced tomato, spring onion, chili, bean sprouts, and most of the basil. Add the dressing, tossing to combine.
Add the peanuts or cashews* (you can either leave them whole, or roughly chop them). Toss again. Taste-test the salad. If not sweet enough, add a little more honey. If not salty enough, add a little more fish sauce. If too sweet or salty, add more lime juice. If you prefer it spicier, add more fresh-cut chili or dried crushed chili.
To serve, scoop the salad into individual bowls or onto a serving platter. Sprinkle with remaining basil leaves plus fresh coriander. Serve immediately and ENJOY!

* To make your own glazed cashews (excellent with this salad!), see my: Easy Sweet & Spicy Glazed Cashews Recipe.
Make Ahead Tip: If you wish to make this salad ahead of time, combine all ingredients except the nuts and the dressing. You can then leave it covered in the refrigerator several hours, or overnight. Add the dressing and peanuts at the last minute, then toss and serve.

mimicry

Postby mimicry » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:41 pm

Larb Gai, spicy thai chicken salad (I use this recipe -
http://www.food.com/recipe/larb-gai-spi ... alad-88611)

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, minced in food processor (do not sub ground chicken, it is too fatty!)
1 tablespoon roasted rice powder (available in Asian markets or you can make your own by roasting raw rice in a dry skillet till brown)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 spring onions, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped shallots
3 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon garlic and red chile paste
thinly sliced cabbage or lettuce, for serving
fresh cilantro stem, for garnish

Directions:
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 25 mins
1 Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat, no oil necessary.
2 Add chicken, stir until cooked through.
3 Remove from heat, drain excess liquid.
4 Add fish sauce and lime juice.
5 Toss all together with cilantro, onion, shallots, mint, cayenne, rice powder, and ground chile/garlic paste.
6 Adjust seasoning to taste.
7 Serve immediately over lettuce leaves or thinly sliced cabbage.
8 Garnish with cilantro sprigs.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/larb-gai-spi ... z1HXXK1VAl

Matthews Puzzle

Postby Matthews Puzzle » Wed May 11, 2011 8:10 am

These are awesome! My hubby loves pho so I'm going to try that one for sure.

When you list the pesto as a chelator, does it do more than just using plain cilantro? My ASD son LOVES cilantro and I and our doc think it is because he needs it.

mimicry

Postby mimicry » Wed May 11, 2011 8:14 am

Matthews Puzzle wrote:These are awesome! My hubby loves pho so I'm going to try that one for sure.

When you list the pesto as a chelator, does it do more than just using plain cilantro? My ASD son LOVES cilantro and I and our doc think it is because he needs it.

Not more than just cilantro, just a different recipe! We love cilantro too, and I believe that when you have a good whole foods diet, the body craves exactly what it needs.

The Pho recipe is awesome! So good you can barely tell the difference between the real pho broth that takes all day and several steps to make!

Pink

Postby Pink » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:27 am

Garlic Cilantro Salsa

You need:
10 cloves of garlic
1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
4 chopped green peppers
1/2 cup chopped and seeded tomatoes
1/2 chopped onion
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 teaspoons lime juice
1 teaspoon cumin chop
Salt.

Directions:
Cut the garlic into small pieces in a processor. Then add the rest of ingredients and blend it until almost smooth. You can serve with corn chips or grilled meats, hamburger.
It's my best favorite food.

Return to “Recipes”