Supplements for Speech/expressive language.

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

fighting_dad

Supplements for Speech/expressive language.

Postby fighting_dad » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:24 am

Dear All,
Can you please suggest supplements for speech. What supplement helped your kid to start verbalize/ speaking.
My DS is good in receptive language, but majorly lagging in expression/speaking. He is not speaking any word at all. He is already under speech therapy though.

Thanks,

makingitpossible

Re: Supplements for Speech/expressive language.

Postby makingitpossible » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:07 am

There is an expensive supplement called Speak http://www.speechnutrients.com/products/speak/
I've never used it but you could start looking at those nutrients.

andyseattle

Postby andyseattle » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:48 pm

May be,
L-Carnosine
Glycine
Phosphatidyl Choline

http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Sup ... =null&ic=1

fighting_dad

Postby fighting_dad » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:18 am

MIP, We are already on DHA,EPA,GLA and Vit E(Vit E not that high though). So I doubt just addition of Vit K will make any change in speech. It is certainly expensive however I will consider it. Thanks !!

Andy, Carnosine is already sitting on my shelf. Was thinking of sneaking it into his regimen. Will try it. Glycine and PC are new to me as far as speech is considered. Did you see any speech benefit form these two?

JeniB

Postby JeniB » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:26 am

low vitamin B1 will cause paralysis of the vocal chords…colon, etc. It's a main cause for reflux as well as the trap door thingy gets weak and allows acids to splash up. B1 in high enough doses got my son very verbal and engaged in general. He also needed PC, as most B vitamins require phosphorus to work. Magnesium and folate are necessary too. Folate is tricky as it messes some with B12, if really low in B12, you should get those levels up first and find a good converted folate to use. it causes problems for many. Low folate can be a result of arsenic poisoning. Some bacteria feed off of folate as well. Potassium is usually low in B1 deficiency and in most ASD kids and not addressed. Also causes muscle weakness. Riboflavin seem helpful for B1 and also it requires amino acids. We had a super cognitive jump with the essential 10 amino acids (we added tryptophan). All normal play now. No obsessions about odd things and age appropriate interests too. This was adding in the amino acids. You can't make adequate neurotransmitters without the Aminos and you can't repair tissue. Lots of mental disabilities result from abnormal amino acid metabolism. Lots of them look like autism too. Get them tested, this will help if you can.
Jen
(mom of 3)

iherb referral code: HOF516
save $5 on first purchase

fighting_dad

Postby fighting_dad » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:57 am

Jen, B1 looks interesting!! I am already giving a multivitamin-minerals (Brainchild) and idea of giving one particular vitamin in high dosage (apart from B12 perhaps) have always made me little uncomfortable. As I read that all b vitamins works synergisticaly and excess/lack of one may dis balance the system. Having said that, I will surely do some research on your suggestion about B1 and go ahead.
About Amino acid, I think I am on same page as you and am considering supplementing. Any brand suggestion? Thanks.

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:36 am

mB12 shots (not oral) and methy folate worked best for us for speech (I think works for one-third of the kids who are immediate responders). We did give B-vitamins as well.

fighting_dad

Postby fighting_dad » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:03 am

Kulkulkan, will sublingual mb12 be as (or near as) effective as shots. Sorry, just trying to make it easy for him (and me :wink: )..

fighting_dad

Postby fighting_dad » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:09 am

JeniB, what dosage of B1 do you recommend ?

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:50 am

fighting_dad wrote:Kulkulkan, will sublingual mb12 be as (or near as) effective as shots. Sorry, just trying to make it easy for him (and me :wink: )..

We didn't try sublingual (did try oral and nasal spray which didn't have similar efficacy), but highly doubt one would get same efficacy. The main advantage of MB12 shot is not just the higher dosage, but also if done correctly, the MB12 can be slowly but continually be provided throughout the day (for us, it lasted one day, not three days). Maybe dosing it 5-6 times a day may have achieved similar efficacy but we didn't try that.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:37 pm

Galantamine (by Rx only) or Galantamind (non Rx version). To my opinion, it is the best medicine that encourages speech, expressive language, and social behavior at least in my son. The results may vary. If you decide to try it, start with 1mg in am for the first 2-3 weeks. When the effects wear off, increase to 2mg in am, again for 2-3 weeks and so on in 1mg increments. Higher doses tend to last longer. We are on 5mg single dose in am now, and it has been working for almost 2 months. At first we were adding doses in am and pm, but later found that Galantamine taken in the evening makes ds too agitated to sleep. We stopped the evening doses completely, and now only give a single dose in am. The max dose can be as high as 16mg/day or even 24mg/day (in some studies), but we'll probably stop at 8mg/day if we ever see the need to go that high.

Other supplements that helped speech and focus in my son are:
#2 CDP Choline (tends to wear off after 2-3 weeks, best to cycle it 1 month ON/1 month OFF to prevent receptor desensitization)
#3 MCT Oil (may have caused increased irritability, we'll try again in coming weeks)
#4 Goldenseal (caused increased irritability after 1-2 weeks, stopped)
#5 Evening Primrose (worked only for 2-3 weeks, still giving it to balance the fish oil)
#6 Virastop + Candidase (worked only for 2-3 weeks, tried to cycle multiple times until it stopped working)
#7 Piracetam (actually helped my son to start talking at 3 years of age, but recently causes more scripting than expressive language)

And the jury is still out on the broccoli sprouts, which we are currently trying. I think they help with expressive language and social behavior too, but very hard to give (ds doesn't like them).

fighting_dad

Postby fighting_dad » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:42 am

FatherOf2, This seems to be a great list. will try implementing few of them. Thanks!! BTW any long term side-effects of Galantamine/CDP Choline and Piracetam that you observed/wary of?

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:10 am

No side effects. Except when we started Galantamine per Dr advice, we did 2mg 2x/day and it caused huger hyperactivity. So, my advice is to start with 1mg just 1x/day,

akhdan

Postby akhdan » Wed May 25, 2016 7:25 pm

Jenie B, What dose do you use for p5p?

antoine

Postby antoine » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:01 pm

I used Life Enhancement, GalantaMind 8 mg/day, did not see anything at all (not even hyperactivity) do you Rx one is better quality or my child is not a responder?
also what brand of l-carnosine is recommended? (NOW brand wasn't effective here)

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:53 pm

antoine wrote:I used Life Enhancement, GalantaMind 8 mg/day, did not see anything at all (not even hyperactivity) do you Rx one is better quality or my child is not a responder?
also what brand of l-carnosine is recommended? (NOW brand wasn't effective here)

Only prescription galantamine. I will be very surprised if prescription galantamine didn't do anything at 4mg/day.

Marya

Postby Marya » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:44 pm

FatherOf2 wrote:Only prescription galantamine. I will be very surprised if prescription galantamine didn't do anything at 4mg/day.

Hi fatherof2, could you please let me know where did you purchase Virastop, Candidase and Piracetam?
Thanks

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:52 pm

Marya wrote:Hi fatherof2, could you please let me know where did you purchase Virastop, Candidase and Piracetam?
Thanks

Virastop is now Enzyme Defense. I bought it and candidase on amazon. I wouldn't recommend them. They are expensive, only work for a few days, and will most likely give you a stomachache. If you need to reduce GI yeast, prescription Nystatin would be my recommendation. Natural ways to kill yeast such as enzymes or GSE is just beating around the bush. IMO.
I bought Piracetam from a US sports nutrition company, which went out of business after FDA started going after sellers of Piracetam. That is the piracetam I gave to my son when he was 3. After that I bought piracetam here: https://supplements.relentlessimprovement.com/categories.aspx?Keyword=piracetam This company is just one man operation from Reno. He gets his ingredients from who knows where and packages them in capsules in his garage probably. I don't think he has a real GMP certificate. When I bought my piracetam from him, I asked for a Certificate of Analysis for it and he sent me one. Depending which country you are from, you might be better off buying the branded piracetam - Nootropil, but not the one made in India. Buy the one made in UK, but it is expensive. Some Canadian pharmacies offer it. The way to check if you are getting the real Piracetam is to try it (it should be extremely bitter) and let it dissolve in water (should completely dissolve without a residue or even a fog).

Lovely

Help Supements for Speech/expressive language.

Postby Lovely » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:05 pm

Hey pls help
My so. Is over 3 no words? I have on

Probiotics
Super nuthera multivatimin
Vitamin d
Cod liver fish oils
Basenets
And silver pure for the bad guy

OFC I have him on gfcf diet

And just ordered acytel cartine
I stopped the b12 injections didn't due any justice and have him on gluthaione two cream before bed.

Pls help !

Cheers

snaidu2014

Re: Help Supements for Speech/expressive language.

Postby snaidu2014 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Please start ABA therapy asap..He will definitely start getting verbal in 6 months

Lovely wrote:Hey pls help
My so. Is over 3 no words? I have on

Probiotics
Super nuthera multivatimin
Vitamin d
Cod liver fish oils
Basenets
And silver pure for the bad guy

OFC I have him on gfcf diet

And just ordered acytel cartine
I stopped the b12 injections didn't due any justice and have him on gluthaione two cream before bed.

Pls help !

Cheers

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”