How to reduce stimming

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

FatherOf2

Re: How to reduce stimming

Postby FatherOf2 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:45 am

Nikkie111 wrote:Fo2 if you do end up doing Chinese skullcap pls give it hours away from meds as it really increases their potency and you might have odd results

Thanks, Nikkie. I haven't thought about interactions between herbs and meds. I will probably give my son a break, no new things. We are doing another EEG test next Monday, andI don't want herbs to interfere with his anti-seizure meds. I tried Ashwaganda for two more days (Monday and Tuesday). I gave 1/2 capsule the nights before. On all days, immediately following the dose, my son became very emotional, easily crying, hostile (the effect was somewhat similar to Theanine). In the morning the effects seemed to wear off, but the school reported that he was emotional, crying, and hitting both days. So, after total of 3 days of trying Ashwagandha, I am calling it quits. It is not the right herb for him. Some people also reported becoming very angry on Ashwagandha. I think it is because of its sugar lowering properties (Thenine does it too). Perhaps if my son ate well, that wouldn't be a problem. I will probably try Bumex after the EEG test next week. It actually increases blood sugar in addition to its cognition boosting properties. I also want to try Bacopa (this one actually reduces anger according to user reports), Vinpocetine and Skullcap, in that order.

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:47 am

Fo2 - that's very interesting, apparently Bacopa and Vinpocentine is fab for memory issues as it helps with flow in the brain. I've seen quite a few posts on healingwell for this and there are quite a few articles for Bacopa and seizures like this one http://www.prohealth.com/library/showar ... ibid=29856

Going to order it now! thaaaaaaaaaank you!!!!!! :D
Just FYI - I just ordered Omnia drops, apparently it's targetting to balance a dysfunctional immune.. I have to say bit on the expensive but definitely going to try it as I am keen on immune stuff
http://www.cytoinnovations.com/index.ph ... tion_id=13

good luck with the EEG on Monday, it'd be interesting to do one before and after certain herbs!!

Ivia

Postby Ivia » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:43 pm

Nikkie - I'm very interested how your child will respond to the Omnia drops. Please, inform us about this. Omnia drops have exactly the same ingredients like Rerum drops, but Omnia are much cheaper.

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:26 pm

Ivia wrote:Nikkie - I'm very interested how your child will respond to the Omnia drops. Please, inform us about this. Omnia drops have exactly the same ingredients like Rerum drops, but Omnia are much cheaper.

Ah really? Yes I think I saw somewhere that Rerum is couple of grand. Yes definitely will let you know, I just started one more round of valtrex and as soon as I finish it end of next week I ll start the drops (They can't be done together unfortunately). But because the valtrex - or actually what it does to the virus - is waking up his immune I need to let this finish first ....and then off we go :wink:

i-jerry

Postby i-jerry » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:03 pm

FatherOf2 wrote:
Ivia wrote:Phosphatidylserine increases dopamine... Unfortunately, quercetin too. These supplements can be problematic for people with COMT gene mutations...

Thank you for warning about PS and quercetin. I didn't know that they increase dopamine. I found that PS not only increases Dopamine, but it also increases testosterone to cortisol ratio, which can cause behaviors. I also found that some other commonly used supplements increase dopamine:
B6 (co-factor in dopamine synthesis, always caused irritability in my son)
L-Theanine (caused huge mood swings in my son)
Circumin (caused irritability)
Gingko Biloba (never tried)
SAM-E (never tried)
Bacopa (wanted to try due to anti-seizure properties)

Dopamine is a controversial neurotransmitter. There are two types of dopamine receptors: D1 and D2. In schizophrenia, these receptors are imbalanced: D1 activity is low, which produces the feeling of apathy, social withdrawal and loss of motivation, whereas D2 activity is high, which causes the hallucinations. Fish oil, but only in very large quantities, tips the balance between these two activities in the right direction. Uridine also modulates this balance in the right way. You can take it orally as UMP or as Citicoline, which is converted to Uridine. It appears that the stack fish oil + uridine + citicoline (optional) is popular among people suffering from the dopamine imbalance. Has anyone tried Uridine?

My son has uridine and Bodybio pc, I didn't see much difference on him since last December when we started them. But our doctor said oral pc needs 6 months to see some difference

i-jerry

Postby i-jerry » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:47 am

Nikkie111 wrote:
Ivia wrote:Nikkie - I'm very interested how your child will respond to the Omnia drops. Please, inform us about this. Omnia drops have exactly the same ingredients like Rerum drops, but Omnia are much cheaper.

Ah really? Yes I think I saw somewhere that Rerum is couple of grand. Yes definitely will let you know, I just started one more round of valtrex and as soon as I finish it end of next week I ll start the drops (They can't be done together unfortunately). But because the valtrex - or actually what it does to the virus - is waking up his immune I need to let this finish first ....and then off we go :wink:

Hi Nikkie, I'm also looking for oral colostrum Gcmaf and Rerum, Rerum is super expensive,435GBP for only 3ml. It contains Ultrapure water, chondroitin sulfate, oleic acid, cholecalciferol, ergocalciferol, it will be great if we can find something alternative

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:04 pm

i-jerry wrote:
Nikkie111 wrote:

Hi Nikkie, I'm also looking for oral colostrum Gcmaf and Rerum, Rerum is super expensive,435GBP for only 3ml. It contains Ultrapure water, chondroitin sulfate, oleic acid, cholecalciferol, ergocalciferol, it will be great if we can find something alternative

Omnia drops are same as Rerum

Really though if you're up for it try to look into valtrex
If virus is behind this if the replication stops you can see immune shoot up. Since last week we've been seen yellow big 'things' in his stool, today we saw a massive green one as well and the only thing we are on is valtrex and antiviral herbs so something is kicking off the immune which starts to do its job at expelling cr*p

I don't want to ruin this thread so won't go into detail but pretty much the no1 culprit for a useless immune is virus so really worth going for it.

i-jerry

Postby i-jerry » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:44 am

Nikkie111 wrote:Fo2 wanted to say also please remember viruses are NASTY!!!! They can really fool the immune to think that the wrong helper cells should be triggered. If our kids are unlucky to genetically not being able to process viruses very well they are pretty much screwed! Virus:
- takes over immune hence they can't even response to tiniest of bacteria
- causes massive brain inflammation (hello glutamate!!)
- causes CNS issues
- even causes constipation for God's sake!!

So we could be missing the boat here is we think viruses are not to be blamed!!

Hi Nikkie, one more question, do you use Valtrex and use herbs on the off days? I'm looking protocol on http://buhnerhealinglyme.com/ but it's not very clear. Do you have recommended book or website to understand more about Buhner protocol? many thanks

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:06 am

i-jerry wrote:
Nikkie111 wrote:Fo2 wanted to say also please remember viruses are NASTY!!!! They can really fool the immune to think that the wrong helper cells should be triggered. If our kids are unlucky to genetically not being able to process viruses very well they are pretty much screwed! Virus:
- takes over immune hence they can't even response to tiniest of bacteria
- causes massive brain inflammation (hello glutamate!!)
- causes CNS issues
- even causes constipation for God's sake!!

So we could be missing the boat here is we think viruses are not to be blamed!!

Hi Nikkie, one more question, do you use Valtrex and use herbs on the off days? I'm looking protocol on http://buhnerhealinglyme.com/ but it's not very clear. Do you have recommended book or website to understand more about Buhner protocol? many thanks

Yes have a look at the Antiviral herbs from Buhner it's on kindle ...
On the off weeks I do certain herbs like lomatium or isatis but other herbs I do them wih valtrex especially Chinese skullcap and red root for drainage
I am trying to do 3 wks on, 2 weeks off

i-jerry

Postby i-jerry » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:57 am

Hi Nikkie,

how is your child doing on Valtrex now?

Nikkie111 wrote:WOW!!! What a list!!

this is what we are doing:
TH1 - astragalus, eleuthero, rhodiola, reishi and maitake mushrooms. Maitake is FANTASTIC!! there are loads of clinical reviews on their effect on tumors, but you'd need to get a really good and potent make. The one we got was a tiny bottle of around $100 here in UK, im sre you can get it cheaper there!

TH2 - knotweed, Chinese skullcap - I still give TH2 supplements as we need the balance. if you create a proinflammatory state with TH1, their body won't cool it down by itself. I also use bit of cordyceps and plant sterols (moducare) for balancing TH1/TH2

we also target an increase on NK Cells. It's part of the innate immune it's extremely important it works properly. We actually did a blood test to check his NK cells, and out of 3 NK cells markers, he was low on all 3 of them. Pretty sad! How is he able to fight viruses? Also his neutrophils are low and again this is part of the innate immunity. So for us NK cells: maitake mushrooms, pine cone extract, Earth Dragon and BRM4. We just started now the last 3.

Science hasn't confirmed the exact relationship between TH1/TH2 and NK cells, there are many scenarios in which adaptive immune calls the innate one and the other way around but some are still mystery

That's why much of what we are doing is an experiment, and going slowly is the key:-)

Finally please bear in mind that some of the viruses absolutely kill parts of the immune - EBV mutates the B cells!! Hence we are using antivirals in parallel!

So balance is the key :-)

Edit: wanted to add that herbs need slow approach and quite a lot of study with them. My boy got last week a full blown body rash with lomatium which is an extremely strong antiviral. It lasted 3 days, and suddenly it was gone. Funny enough he's been doing brilliantly, especially 'intellectually'! So it needs a very slow and careful consideration on how to implement this - but I do wish I did it earlier :-(

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:31 pm

i-jerry wrote:Hi Nikkie,

TH1 - astragalus, eleuthero, rhodiola, reishi and maitake mushrooms. Maitake is FANTASTIC!! there are loads of clinical reviews on their effect on tumors, but you'd need to get a really good and potent make. The one we got was a tiny bottle of around $100 here in UK, im sre you can get it cheaper there!

TH2 - knotweed, Chinese skullcap - I still give TH2 supplements as we need the balance. if you create a proinflammatory state with TH1, their body won't cool it down by itself. I also use bit of cordyceps and plant sterols (moducare) for balancing TH1/TH2

we also target an increase on NK Cells. It's part of the innate immune it's extremely important it works properly. We actually did a blood test to check his NK cells, and out of 3 NK cells markers, he was low on all 3 of them. Pretty sad! How is he able to fight viruses? Also his neutrophils are low and again this is part of the innate immunity. So for us NK cells: maitake mushrooms, pine cone extract, Earth Dragon and BRM4. We just started now the last 3.

Science hasn't confirmed the exact relationship between TH1/TH2 and NK cells, there are many scenarios in which adaptive immune calls the innate one and the other way around but some are still mystery

That's why much of what we are doing is an experiment, and going slowly is the key:-)

Finally please bear in mind that some of the viruses absolutely kill parts of the immune - EBV mutates the B cells!! Hence we are using antivirals in parallel!

Edit: wanted to add that herbs need slow approach and quite a lot of study with them. My boy got last week a full blown body rash with lomatium which is an extremely strong antiviral. It lasted 3 days, and suddenly it was gone. Funny enough he's been doing brilliantly, especially 'intellectually'! So it needs a very slow and careful consideration on how to implement this - but I do wish I did it earlier :-(

Hiya
We used one of the immune products that raises NK cells and actually got him to have 38C fever after ages and that's when I made the wrong decision to stop valtrex... Bad bad bad mistake! He regressed pretty bad! He was almost NT and this made him full blown asd again. I think his immune started detecting stuff and raised his fever which is good but the sudden change totally threw him out, no joke! So I brought valtrex back and lowered significantly the dose of the immune product and he's slowly coming back... Scary!
Valtrex all the way no way we re ready to give it up .....

Has your boy had any progress?

i-jerry

Postby i-jerry » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:30 am

Nikkie111 wrote:
i-jerry wrote:Hi Nikkie,

Hiya
We used one of the immune products that raises NK cells and actually got him to have 38C fever after ages and that's when I made the wrong decision to stop valtrex... Bad bad bad mistake! He regressed pretty bad! He was almost NT and this made him full blown asd again. I think his immune started detecting stuff and raised his fever which is good but the sudden change totally threw him out, no joke! So I brought valtrex back and lowered significantly the dose of the immune product and he's slowly coming back... Scary!
Valtrex all the way no way we re ready to give it up .....

Has your boy had any progress?

Morning, that's awful. I hope your little one will get better soon. We are still using IMD ( 3rd month) to clean his metal in the gut. I'm planning to use Valtrex during summer holiday because it needs 3 times per day. I don't think school could give him very on time. I ordered OLE and O0O this week, and hope it could help him fix his yeast issue and get ready for Valtrex on summer time.

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:57 am

Thank you he's getting bit better thank God
Our school gives valtrex, yours can do the same...
You might need to be on it for months so just school holidays might not be enough

raun cesar

Postby raun cesar » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:47 am

Its confusing when autism patients engaged in self stimulatory behaviors, but I recommend a thorough medical examination to rule out other causes.

May your child have a speedy recovery

Mossy

Postby Mossy » Wed May 03, 2017 5:46 pm

Any success in reducing stimming? We have visual (flicking fingers in front of eyes) and vocal stims, only namenda seemed to have made a difference but is tough to get.. NAC, inositol, zinc etf all had no effect

i-jerry

Postby i-jerry » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:21 pm

Nikkie111 wrote:
i-jerry wrote:
Nikkie111 wrote:Ah really? Yes I think I saw somewhere that Rerum is couple of grand. Yes definitely will let you know, I just started one more round of valtrex and as soon as I finish it end of next week I ll start the drops (They can't be done together unfortunately). But because the valtrex - or actually what it does to the virus - is waking up his immune I need to let this finish first ....and then off we go :wink:

If virus is behind this if the replication stops you can see immune shoot up. Since last week we've been seen yellow big 'things' in his stool, today we saw a massive green one as well and the only thing we are on is valtrex and antiviral herbs so something is kicking off the immune which starts to do its job at expelling cr*p

I don't want to ruin this thread so won't go into detail but pretty much the no1 culprit for a useless immune is virus so really worth going for it.

Hi Nikkie, are you still using Omnia drops for NK cells? we just started LDN 3 days ago and haven't seen any difference yet.
My son is using Valtrex ( a week) and LDN(3 days) together, we only see regression main from yeast. I'm thinking to introduce Chinese skullcap ,
maitake mushroom and reishi mushroom very soon. Do you use a specific brand or not? I see too many on google and really not sure which brand is in good quality.

Do you change antiviral medicines ( valtrex, imunovir etc) every few months? and which one you think is the best to help your son? I read your post from beginning to now and it seems your son use Valtrex a while and then Famivor, imunovir etc. My son has 2 MMR injection (by my mistake), and he had regression after men b injection. when he was 3 he only has the speech delay but social, emotion and eye contact etc are really good.

Now after 1 year biomed he still has speech delay, with very limited eye contact, zero social, doesn't show any emotion on his face, can't take photo, can't have a 'nomal' conversation etc.

We believe viral is playing the main role on his issue, and we are focus on it and immune system improvement. As I see your son has a big leap on the same route, I really hope my son could also follow his success. Best, Jerry

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:31 am

i-jerry wrote:
Nikkie111 wrote:
i-jerry wrote:

Hi Nikkie, are you still using Omnia drops for NK cells? we just started LDN 3 days ago and haven't seen any difference yet.
My son is using Valtrex ( a week) and LDN(3 days) together, we only see regression main from yeast. I'm thinking to introduce Chinese skullcap ,
maitake mushroom and reishi mushroom very soon. Do you use a specific brand or not? I see too many on google and really not sure which brand is in good quality.

Do you change antiviral medicines ( valtrex, imunovir etc) every few months? and which one you think is the best to help your son? I read your post from beginning to now and it seems your son use Valtrex a while and then Famivor, imunovir etc. My son has 2 MMR injection (by my mistake), and he had regression after men b injection. when he was 3 he only has the speech delay but social, emotion and eye contact etc are really good.

Now after 1 year biomed he still has speech delay, with very limited eye contact, zero social, doesn't show any emotion on his face, can't take photo, can't have a 'nomal' conversation etc.

We believe viral is playing the main role on his issue, and we are focus on it and immune system improvement. As I see your son has a big leap on the same route, I really hope my son could also follow his success. Best, Jerry

Hiya- no omnia didn't do much and it was 200 quid per bottle so better off without it! Gcmaf though is good it's working great with antivirals

For herbs I use Bristol botanicals they have first quality herbs!! Just make sure you give them on empty stomach and start really slow

On the antivirals front immunovir and cycloferon kill viruses indirectly by getting your immune to do it . You must alternate though and use them for short period of times. Valtrex and famvir stop the replication of the virus by working directly on it, you're supposed to do famvir only after valtrex has stopped working
Don't worry about yeast, you can give an anti fungal for the early days till the immune starts picking up and killing it itself

My personal opinion is to look at Mast cell activation disorder/syndrome especially if he regressed after vaccines. Mast cells are part of the immune and are working dysfunctionally in some autistic kids especially because of vaccines/viruses . Medicine wise an antihistamine like ketotifen can help enormously but natural products help as well. While and if you kid has viruses he might always have a dodgy mast cell situation so you're doing the right thing with valtrex etc. also if you see no progress with b12 maybe consider stopping it, in some kids it can raise histamine- out of curiosity have you ever tried natural or drug antihistamine ? just hang in there, I know he ll do great, you're targeting the correct things just start slowly and build up as appropriate! x

i-jerry

Postby i-jerry » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:03 pm

Nikkie111 wrote:
i-jerry wrote:
Nikkie111 wrote:

Hiya- no omnia didn't do much and it was 200 quid per bottle so better off without it! Gcmaf though is good it's working great with antivirals

For herbs I use Bristol botanicals they have first quality herbs!! Just make sure you give them on empty stomach and start really slow

On the antivirals front immunovir and cycloferon kill viruses indirectly by getting your immune to do it . You must alternate though and use them for short period of times. Valtrex and famvir stop the replication of the virus by working directly on it, you're supposed to do famvir only after valtrex has stopped working
Don't worry about yeast, you can give an anti fungal for the early days till the immune starts picking up and killing it itself

My personal opinion is to look at Mast cell activation disorder/syndrome especially if he regressed after vaccines. Mast cells are part of the immune and are working dysfunctionally in some autistic kids especially because of vaccines/viruses . Medicine wise an antihistamine like ketotifen can help enormously but natural products help as well. While and if you kid has viruses he might always have a dodgy mast cell situation so you're doing the right thing with valtrex etc. also if you see no progress with b12 maybe consider stopping it, in some kids it can raise histamine- out of curiosity have you ever tried natural or drug antihistamine ? just hang in there, I know he ll do great, you're targeting the correct things just start slowly and build up as appropriate! x

thanks a lot Nikkie, your suggestion is so helpful. I'll google Mast cell and also stop b12 for now until we receive 23 and me report. We haven't use anythinkg for histamine yet, our doctor didn't mention it to us but I'll research it now.
Do you think Valtrex + LDN might do the similar thing compare with immunovir and cycloferon?
Thanks again, Jerry

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:49 am

i-jerry wrote:
thanks a lot Nikkie, your suggestion is so helpful. I'll google Mast cell and also stop b12 for now until we receive 23 and me report. We haven't use anythinkg for histamine yet, our doctor didn't mention it to us but I'll research it now.
Do you think Valtrex + LDN might do the similar thing compare with immunovir and cycloferon?
Thanks again, Jerry

Pls do let your doc know if you're about to stop b12, he might know something we don't :wink:
Also you could ask him about mast cell issue as well, there are loads you can do about it

Since you started biomed you haven't seen any progress at all?

somebody

Postby somebody » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:27 am

Did anything work? Our ds still constantly visually stims and his eczema is getting worse, not sure what to do, even memantine has stopped working, NAC etc never did :(

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”