"greening" the home - water filtering

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

EmilyV

"greening" the home - water filtering

Postby EmilyV » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:31 pm

What is the best water filtering system? Do you recommend reverse osmosis?

FatherOf2

Re: "greening" the home - water filtering

Postby FatherOf2 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:34 pm

I went through water filtering system selection 6 months ago. Ended up buying Waterboy carbon filter. So far so good. It removes chlorine and other bad stuff. No maintenance - just replace carbon every 10 years or so. I didn't want salt-based filter/softener because of maintenance and the fact that these filters are being prohibited in some California counties. But, if you want a softener, that is the only option. I didn't care about softening (removal of calcium, magnesium and other minerals, which can build up in pipes and limit life of your appliances such as dishwasher, washer, refrigerator and water heater). I just wanted clean water. Carbon-based tanks like Waterboy clean water to make it drinkable, but we don't drink water from the tap. We buy bottled water.

One think to keep in mind is that some newer houses may come with a filter loop in a garage. So, it simplifies the water filter installation for the whole house. But, in our case, the builder piped the house in such a way that kitchen faucets were excluded from the filtering loop and connected directly to water main. The explanation that they gave me is that they expected most homeowners to buy a softening water filter for the whole home (to be inserted into that loop in the garage), which would put salt in the water and make it undrinkable. So, they thought that in addition to the softening filter in the garage, a homeowner would install a reverse osmosis filter undre sink in the kitchen. But I didn't like that option because a reverse osmosis filter would just supply a small drinking faucet and not the main kitchen faucet. So, my options wer

1. Buy a softening filter for the whole house + reverse osmosis filter for the kitchen drinking fountain only and leave the main kitchen faucet unfiltered, which would be bad because we wash fruits, vegetables, salad, plates etc from that main faucet. So, this whole filtering system would defeat the purpose of providing a clean water where it counts (in the kitchen, for dishwasher and food)

2. Buy a carbon filter for the whole house and reconnect the kitchen pipe to the filtering loop pipe. Which we did and so far no problems. However, because the filter removes chlorine, which kills bacteria, it is possible that over time the filter starts growing bacteria and water could smell. That is why Waterboy and most other carbon-based filters have brass powder inside in addition to carbon to kill bacteria. But, according to some people, brass loses copper into the water. That is why we don't drink the water from taps but buy a bottled water. I don't see how leaching copper with such filter would be worse than chlirine leaching copper from copper pipes. Softening filters don't have this problem with bacteria or copper because the salt reacts with all minerals including copper and removes it from the system. Plus it kills bacteria.

To summarize, if you want the cleanest water and don't mind maintenance, buy a salt-based filter/softenener and a reverse osmosis filter for the kitchen. If you are like me, don't like maintenance, want to remove chlorine and other major toxins and are ok with minerals in the water "destroying" your appliances over time, then you can buy just a carbon-based filter and bottled water from a store.

bhawin

Postby bhawin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:38 pm

After lots of research around this, we decided to go with Berkey Water filter. We use this water for drinking and cooking.
Yes it is day to day maintenance but the more we read we were convinced with Berkey.
Several filters didnt filter as much. We were using Brita for very long.
RO just cleans up everything, needing to adding trace minerals which we did not like. Also wastes a ton of water.

Planning to install shower filters for the bathroom too.

EmilyV

Postby EmilyV » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:09 pm

FatherOf2 and Bhawin,
thank you very much for advice. We were also using Brita before. what type of filter is Berkey filter?
FatherOf2, with bottled water, are you not concerned about BPA in plastic for the bottles?

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:25 am

EmilyV wrote:FatherOf2 and Bhawin,
thank you very much for advice. We were also using Brita before. what type of filter is Berkey filter?
FatherOf2, with bottled water, are you not concerned about BPA in plastic for the bottles?

Yes, a bit concerned, but now everything is in plastic: water, milk, juices. If you saw how water gets into your tap, you will probably never drink it. In my case, my house piping is made of plastic pex instead of copper. Chlorine in water leaches petrochemicals from the pipes. Most RO filters are inefficient at BPA removal. So, in my case, store-bought water is probably the cleanest water I can get even though it is in plastic bottles.

By the way, before age of 2 when my son was diagnosed with autism, we were giving baby formula, water, drinks, etc from BPA-free containers. I don't think BPA causes autism. However, our furniture (mattress, couch, even pijamas) contained fire retardant, which is also theorized to cause autism. We moved to a new house, threw away all old furniture that contained fire retardants, bought everything organic (mattresses, bed sheets, pillows, couches, etc). We haven't noticed improvements in our son condition. While it is a good idea to minimize harmful chemicals (insecticides included) and RF radiation, it is not going make a difference in most cases of autism, IMHO.

I have a unique situation: I have fraternal twins, one of whom is autistic and the other is not. Both grew up in the same conditions, ate the same food, drank the same water, smelled the same chemicals, had the same parents. The only differences are in genetics, the way my autistic son was positioned in womb and delivered (suction cap that left a huge bruise on his head), and other unique external impacts (like falling and hitting his head at age of 1.5).

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:45 am

We use berkey too! There is no maintenance for us, we change filters every couple of years and the water tastes lovely

i-jerry

Postby i-jerry » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:56 pm

we are thinking about water filter as well. The great info about berkey brand and i will order one for us. Thanks for share :D

EmilyV

Postby EmilyV » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:08 pm

Father of 2, thanks!
I do not suggest that BPA or flame retardants cause it - but as you know there is evidence people with autism can't get rid easily of toxic chemicals. So my idea behind trying to "green" the house is not really a hope for cure, but just to minimize harm so my son's little body has less stuff to fight against.
:)

i-jerry

Postby i-jerry » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:24 pm

does anyone use air purifier machine at home?

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:11 pm

EmilyV wrote:Father of 2, thanks!
I do not suggest that BPA or flame retardants cause it - but as you know there is evidence people with autism can't get rid easily of toxic chemicals. So my idea behind trying to "green" the house is not really a hope for cure, but just to minimize harm so my son's little body has less stuff to fight against.
:)

At a minimum go for green/organic raw pure food and products on him and in him- it will definitely speed up the healing process :-)

EmilyV

Re: "greening" the home

Postby EmilyV » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:41 pm

Thanks. For those of you cooking in batches, what do you suggest using for canning jar lids? The jars are glass - fine, but the most common lids are PVC and tin coated, which I would like to avoid.
Would appreciate any advice.

bhawin

Postby bhawin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:46 pm

i-jerry wrote:does anyone use air purifier machine at home?

We ended up buying IQ AirHealthPro recently based on reviews. I dont have any way to verify its efficiency but I sure hope its doing it job for the price we pay.

i-jerry

Postby i-jerry » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:48 pm

bhawin wrote:
i-jerry wrote:does anyone use air purifier machine at home?

We ended up buying IQ AirHealthPro recently based on reviews. I dont have any way to verify its efficiency but I sure hope its doing it job for the price we pay.

thanks, ill have a look. I had hay fever this year and this is the first time in my life, hope it could help :D

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”