aggression after NAC infusion?

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

maura101

aggression after NAC infusion?

Postby maura101 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:10 pm

We did our first NAC infusion last week.

We are having some bad days now: a sense of urgency, defiance, anxiety and aggression. Hitting kids at camp. Defying grandma. High and urgent voice.

Has anyone witnessed a similar reaction? We don't know if she is just having "one of those weeks" or if it could be connected.

Thank you!

karabean71

Re: aggression after NAC infusion?

Postby karabean71 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:43 pm

Hello maura,

Is your child still having problems? I've been thinking about using NAC, so I was hoping someone would respond to your post. I am reading 'Changing the Course of Autism' by Dr. Jepson and he states, "The best way to supply cysteine in children with autism appears to be through the form of (NAC) or as GSH (glutathione). Giving cysteine itself often results in negative behaviors, possibly because of its activity as an excitatory neurotransmitter."
So maybe if NAC didn't work, try GSH/glutathione? One thing he says about GSH is the oral form can lead to hyperactivity, and recommends IV or nasal spray. I hope this is helpful and that you can let me know how everything went for you. -Kara

maura101

Postby maura101 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:12 am

Thanks Kara. She is doing a little bit better. Still gripped by obsession and prone to quick flare ups of irritability. It may or may not have been the NAC, we are not really sure. She has been doing transdermal NAC for months without a problem.

GGO

Postby GGO » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:32 pm

I can't help you but need to follow this post. I am trying to treat my daughter for what is now severe OCD. I thought she had PANDAS but now that I started zithromax (so didn't want to do this) and she is not changing what so ever I am starting to think it isn't PANDAS and it is some sort of serontonin deficiency. I had OCD severe as a kid also and still have it somewhat.
On her OAT she scored a little low on B6 (serontonin precursor) and the MD said if zithromax has no effect go that route. She warned against NAC because of yeast for my daughter but told me I should take it for my OCD. SO I was considering the transdermal route. DId you see any positivies with transdermal?
My only thought is somehow it flared the yeast (because of the sulfur) even though it was IV. I guess yeast are everywhere even the blood. That is just my guess. Keep us posted.

isabelmum

Postby isabelmum » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:48 pm

Kari, for ua severe ocD is bacteria. Goldenseal, OLE helps some. Get OLE that ia in the right ratio (higher than 18% i think) for it to be effective. It comes back evrrytime we are off goldenseal though.

GGO

Postby GGO » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:52 pm

What is OLE?
Thanks!

GGO

Postby GGO » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:54 pm

Olive Leaf? Am I right. Does this taste ok or is it nasty. I was thinking about adding this anyways.

isabelmum

Postby isabelmum » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Olive leaf extract. I get the barlean liquid one from iherb, mint taste. I like it, it taste great. Currently using it as antioxidant.

karabean71

Postby karabean71 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:43 am

She has been doing transdermal NAC for months without a problem.

That's great to hear! :D Transdermal is the way to go - oral NAC can cause excitability. I think I will be starting TD NAC next month.

TamiW

Postby TamiW » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:18 pm

Possibly consider 1-2 capsules of activated charcoal as it can also be a detox reaction. Charcoal is great at binding up what's released so it's not so aggravating.
Tami

Kennedy219

Postby Kennedy219 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:31 am

My daughter has severe ocd. We thought she had pans. Been going on for four years on and off. No help fro. Doctors. She has other strange behavior that comes and goes. Just had spinal tap done looking at auto immune encephilitis. None of psych meds help, we've tried about all of them. Mainstream drs dont believe in PANDAS or PANS. she also has a chromosome disorder, not been dx with autism. Started using insotol, powder whisch has helped, also started oral NAC. She went combative and agressive over the weekend and cussing.. losing my own mind with this

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”